Master Cylander Cap

woodie49

I am completing the brake bleeder project Don posted on this site a while back, but I need to locate a master cylinder cap for that fits my master cylander. It is original to my '49.  NAPA seems to have no part number for it (not surprising).  Is there a part number for an availabe replacement or newer cap that works?

Woodie,

I don't really know where to look for sure but if your trying to do a brake bleed procedure there is a Gravity Feed System for Sale at Harbor Freight

that will sit above that wide Master Cylinder Cap Hole and Gravity feed the Master as you pump out the fluid at each wheel cylinder.

The only way I know to get a new cap is take yours off and go to a good Mom and Pop Hardware Store, not a bubble wrap store they wouldn't have one.

That Kit is about $29 but well worth it, because one guy can bleed the lines really good with one and get a firm brake pedal.

I'll even go as far as to say a good plumbing wholesaler or maybe even a Lowe's Store (Plumbing Section) might have a Cap that works.

There is also an Irrigation System Wholesaler you might try.

Tom

Lowes does not have a cap that will fit. This is straight from the horses mouth as I am a Lowes Plumbing Pro.

They do however, along with Home Despot and my local hardware store, have a barbed hose fitting with the appropriate pipe thread for the vent/cap on an original '33/'34 Plymouth master cylinder. :)

5-39-03.jpg

They do however, along with Home Despot and my local hardware store, have a barbed hose fitting with the appropriate pipe thread for the vent/cap on an original '33/'34 Plymouth master cylinder. :)

True, but your master cylinder cap is different than the later ones that do not have a hole tapped for 1/8" IPS

eyelet.jpg

JipJob,

I do not have an extra Cap laying around, as I'm sure Don Coatney does not also

As a matter of fact, I have even tried contacting the guys that rebuild these Master Cylinders in the past, in an effort to obtain one.

I did that because I was wanting one to do a gravity feed Brake Fluid replacement. Wanting an extra Cap to tap a hole through for Bleeding purposes.

That's when I found that Kit at Harbor Freight that will do it without the extra Cap. Its got attachments wide enough to achieve a  gravity Bleed.

As I said before if your trying to "duplicate" a fitting or cap - take the one you have with you to a supply store and try to match it up.

These Master Cylinders are getting rare as Hen's Teeth, and unless you luck up on one in a wrecking yard or go on ebay and ask the seller to pull one off a parts car - then no cigar.

Remember there's always more than one way to skin a cat. We on the Forum are as helpful as we can be, but we're not an endless source of free parts. (I have not taken your Thread to mean that we are, I am merely pointing out that salient fact). They also sell these Master Cylinder's on ebay for around $170 a pop S&H not included.

Good Luck!

Tom

• Like 1