1 Piece Aluminum Grille For 42 Dodge Cars?

knuckleharley

Ok,I know this is slightly off topic because it is about a D-22 instead of a D-24,but has anybody ever seen or heart of such a thing as a 1 piece aluminum grille for a 1942 Dodge passenger car?

$%28KGrHqZ,%21rQFEdLWK4d8BRfsMscVLw~~60_   

Since 42 Dodges were only in production about 3 months and the grilles and even the front fenders won't work on a 41 or a 46 Dodge,it seems highly unlikely to me that any aftermarket company tooked up to start producing them.

Despite all this,damned if I didn't just buy the one above.

Do I have something that was maybe a factory made piece fpr their own use and not meant to leave the factory,or is it a one-off piece somebody made somewhere along the line for their own car?

No,I don't know if it is cast or milled. All I know is that it is old and came off a car in a junkyard. The man I bought it from said he cleaned it up with soap and water to sell it,and it was pretty dirty. I don't think it was ever highly polished.

I have a cast aluminum replacement grill for my '38 Chrysler (Original was chromed potmetal). It is an aftermarket replacement. Maybe they were sold to body shops trying to do a job on a budget?

I have a cast aluminum replacement grill for my '38 Chrysler (Original was chromed potmetal). It is an aftermarket replacement. Maybe they were sold to body shops trying to do a job on a budget?

I doubt it because the 42 was only in production for about 3 months,and after that it was tough to get aluminum or to get anything chromed.

Then again,I'm more than a little surprised that anybody ever made a replacement aluminum grille for a 38 Chrysler,so what do I know?

BTW,a 38 Chrysler Royale was the first car I ever bought,but they aren't what most people call real attractive and desirable cars,and they never were all that popular.

I have seen a 46-8 Dodge aluminum grille.

Guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. I think she's quite a looker..

SM2011-2.jpg

But I like a car with a big butt.

That is a pretty car,and significantly more stylish than my 4dr sedan. Then again,I only paid 20 bucks for mine,and bought it from the estate of the original lady owner and it onl had maybe 60k miles on it. The upholstery wasn't torn,and even the clock worked.

I have seen a 46-8 Dodge aluminum grille.

Thanks. I've never even seen one of them,but I don't have a D-24,so there has been no reason for me to look

I've seen the 46-48 dodge grill in cast aluminum also but it has always been the D25 Canadian model Plymouth in Dodge attire..

Now you have me scared. I already bought one NOS "42 Dodge Grille" that turned out to be a Canadian Dodge,and won't work in my US Dodge.

Then again,it was 3 piece stamped steel with chrome replaceable bars like my US grille. Were the ones you saw from the factory,or aftermarket?

p5060001640x480.jpg  rear640x480.jpg

top640x480l.jpg

BTW,do any of you know for a fact that a 42 Canadian Dodge grille and a 42 US Plymouth grille are identical and a direct swap? Looks like I'm going to probably have to sell this thing,and I'd like to know for sure before I advertise that it will.

• 1 month later...

I have been amassing parts for the rebuild of my 42 Dodge for around 5 years now and have never heard of/seen a cast aluminum replacement grill for the 42 dodge. As stated, shirt year build and too year specific for any body repos. If I remember correctly, the big difference between the us/can versions regarding the grills was the can version had fewer horizontal cross bars. I currently have 2-3 complete 42 dodge grilles all needing some attention and a rechrome. I have a complete parts car as well, so I'm very lucky in that respect.

0972801 STEERING POST BRKT,PU 1942 D 2 3.00

0973202 PARK LAMP LENS RETAINER 1942 D 1 20.00

0974684 HEAT GAUGE 1942 D 1 45.00

0974684A HEAT GAUGE,GOLD SLIGHTLY CORRODED 1942 D 1 18.00

0974685 FUEL GAUGE 1942 D 1 30.00

0975488 R T/L LENS 1942 D 3 25.00

0975489 L T/L LENS 1942 D 2 25.00

0996378 REAR MAIN SEAL PKG 1942 D 1 7.00

0974313 L SILL MOULDING 78 1/2 LONG 1942 D,S,C 1 78.00

the above is what I have that ONLY fits the 1942 Dodge

all of it is NOS except for the 1st item

www.arizonaparts.com for more info

Edited by marty mopar

• 1 year later...

Looking for a 1942 Dodge grille for sale. J Murray

I believe there is one sitting in a friend's yard, I'll see about running over this weekend and checking it out.