Does This Look Like An Od Lever

morson82
Go to solution Solved by morson82,

Ok, so I was at my local junk yard and I found what appears to be a 46 Chrysler Windsor and a 49-50 dodge meadow brook. I am trying to locate an OD tranny for my 42 dodge. I saw on for sale on eBay and the guys was asking $4000.00....wow!

Anyway, between the two cars I figured that the Chrysler had a better chance of having the OD tranny. These cars have been sitting for 30 years the frames are on the ground. I first looked at the dash of the Chrysler and I did it see a "T" type handle that I vaguely remember controlled the OD. However there we what appeared to be switches located on the bottom of the dash that I thought might electrically control the OD. So.... This morning I began slowly jacking up the Chrysler to get a better look at the tranny. Was not an easy job with a small bottle jack, but a wasn't lugging a roller jack into the woods.

So after an hour or so I got the car up pretty high secured it and then the jack let go. It did not appear that this was an OO tranny, go figure.

I then found the dodge and looked at the dash and saw what appeared to be the standard "T" handle that engages the OD tranny. I followed the cable that the handle was connected to and it went back towards the tranny and was different than the parking brake cable. I have attached some pics. Due to the jack crapping out I was not able to get a look under the car. Before I go through all the trouble, I wanted to know what guys out there thought.

Also, the Chrysler has a complete front grill that needs replating but is all there and not dented or missing pieces. The front and rear bumpers are in good shape, not bent or rusted and have the bumper guards, which are in the same shape.. This car had the red and blue plaid interior.. Anyone looking for parts, let me know.

post-212-0-17579600-1367166296_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-71008800-1367166804_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-24650000-1367167025_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-51236300-1367167082_thumb.jpg

That dodge looks promising. Its prior to when plymouth had OD available I'm not sure when dodge could have had it. Did you look under the hood for signs of a relay or kickdown linkage??

Did the 42's come out with an OD as an accessories?  I have plenty of power with my old six and can speed along a 55 or more but I just go for the ride and usually stay at around 50 MPH.  These old cars were built for the highways of the forties and the top speed in those  days were in California and that was 55 MPH.  I shaved my head to clean it up and gained a few mph and a little bit of more pep! Shaved .060"  Oh yes and I found an outfit in Bremerton that works on hot rod and old classic cars.  So as I mentioned here before I wanted to make contact with someone to set up my brakes to the proper dimension and now I have located a place that can do that!  I'm one happy camper! Funny I went to a club outing at this guys modern garage and I brought my factory manual with me to ask the owner if he could work on my brakes!  Well I went up to this one guy and asked him if he knew who was the owner and he stated to me that he was!!!!!!!!! Anyway in about a month or so I will take my old Dodge over to his garage and finally get my brakes tuned up properly with the right tooling. :)

Morson,

I want that oil pressure gauge if it will fit a P-15.  Anybody know of its compatibility?

I bought my OD from Neil Riddle for $400+$100 shipping.  Granted that was almost 20 years ago, but the clown on ebay is in Disneyland with his price.

-Randy

Morson,

The one from the purple car, which I think is the Dodge; the third picture, and I meant the temp gauge, not oil.  I don't know what your access to those cars is, but that entire instrument panel is something somebody here might want.  It may cost me the temp gauge by saying something about it but we're all in this together from my point of view.

-Randy

Edited by randroid

The handle on the dodge looks to be the normal hood release cable. The chrysler wouldn't have a factory OD.

The cable from the "T" handle in the dodge goes down the firewall and towards the tranny. I am positive that it does not connect to the hood latching mechanism. Anything I can do to help out a fellow car enthusiast I will do. I'm good friends with the owner, but he can be very quirky when he wants to be. If anyone is interested let me know and I will see what I can do.

49-50 Dodge cables....

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

That T handle is the hood release on the 49 Dodge.  The cable between the two rusted wires is the speedo cable. the other two are the heat gauge and the tube to the oil pressure gauge.  The cable attached to the T handle is the one coming from the gromet above the voltage regulater. It goes along the inside of the fender to the hood release.  A 50 Dodge had an outside hood release and no T handle.  Overdrive was not an option on 49 dodges.

Last I don't know why the first part of the reply is underlined or what I did to stop it.

To my knowledge, all the 49 and 50 Dodges had fluid drive.  And.....I think overdrive handles usually

say overdrive stamped into them.  They are mounted with a similar L bracket and the handles are

just about the same shape and size.  You need a 52 or 53, up to 59 Plymouth for an overdrive...R10.

Those car so equipped usually had Overdrive script on the trunk lid.....probaby lower right area. 

There is a OD on AACA site for $800.00 in vancouver canada.

This is how we got the OD out of that red Plymouth...............took the OD stuff & let the seller keep the car.

Cleaned up pretty good on the outside.............hopefully will be installed in the brown,

tree smashed P15 coupe some day.

post-22-0-43409800-1367288415_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-72712800-1367288591_thumb.jpg