New Wheel?

Greg F

Guys:

I have 600-16 on my 47 p-15 right now. Someone said in another thread that the 47's came with 15 " wheels. I am looking on buying some www radials soon, and was wondering if I should purchase some new 15" wheels or just keep the 16's. Seems like there is more selection for 15". Hard for me to tell the difference between the two in pictures on this site. Is there a handling difference? This isn't a show car, just want one that that performs well but still looks somewhat like it did in 47.

Thx Greg

I have 235/75R /15 on my truck. The rims are 5 1/2" wide. Rims come in several widths, I needed at least 5 1/2" to clear the disc brake calipers. I chose this size because: the diameter is the same as the OE16" rims and tires BUT the tire's sidewalls are wider on a 15" rim and that gives a better ride; and to my eye, a wider tire is aesthetically better, it just gives the vehicle a better looking foundation. I lowered and leveled my truck only two inches which made it look wider rather than taller and with the wider tires gained a lot of attention and compliments. 

It's all personal, yet there are some things that have technical consideration. 

Both 15s and 16 were used on P15s depending upon year.

I would not go wider than 215 on a radial.  I have 225/16 radials on my truck and I will be going back to a 215. 

JB, I agree. The larger rims and tires fill the wheel wells better. That is a beautiful car. Did they color the trim to match the car? Question, that is a '42? with all the restrictions of the time, are WW's appropriate? Tell us about that trailer, there must be a story there somewhere. 

They only produced that car for about two months and it is a very rare old rig!  I bought it 25 years ago to bond with my boys but they never became interested in it but thats ok as they both have been very successfull in life so far.  The trailer is built out of an older Home Depot trailer.  I originally had another trailer but it was to heavy on the hitch so I decided to build something a little bit lighter.  Notice the roof?  I had a buddy that had a flat bottom boat out in his back yard and he gave that to me for a roof!!!  I made it so you can slip it oft and use it for trout fishing or any small lake fishing.  Just a fun thing to build and I'm thinking about building another trailer but this time a Gipsie type. One with a haft round roof.  I have a friend who is going to give another trailer (Flat bed) and this should make a good plate form for another fun project.  I have always like trailers and that goes back to when I was just a little kid.  Oh the reason for towing it behind the Dodge is that I carry all my Dodge memorabilia in there and also if I want to duck in and take a snooze can.

olddodgefirstday-1.jpg

so it was never an original black out car per the chrome in the original picture of you bringing it home...per production accounts I have read the bumpers were still yet all chrome as they had made these in mass quantity prior to the war and thus had sufficient quantities to last till end of production in 42.  But again..articles on the internet are just that I guess, articles...

It looks like a missmatch of chrome and painted pieces. I've heard like the bumpers they had different stock piles of each part so as soon as they didnt have enough to have an entire shiny car the rest of the parts got painted over until they were using all non-chrome versions.

I believe the P15s made early in the 47 model year received the 16" rims.

Ones made later in the year got the 15s - so the build date dictated wheel size.

My car came with 16s which I believe were original.  But I wanted the convenience

of finding 15" tires and  wanted to use the 15"  1955 Chrysler chrome wire wheels.

I ran radials on the wires for a time, (now have bias ply,  6-70 x 15) and had no

trouble with the radials.  I think the 215 X 75 size radial is the best look and

fit.  Some use 205s, but they seem just a tad small to me. 

6.70 x 15 below......

post-22-0-69646700-1366819406_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-45438100-1366819642_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

If you are trying to match the height of your 6.00-16 bias ply with a modern radial, the conversion is LT215/85R16. And you can get them with a period looking tread, 2wd dually tires. My 49 truck is currently wearing 7.00-15 bias ply on 1978 Ramcharger wheels. One at a time the stock blackwall 6.00-16s are being replaced with www 6.00-16s. 15s for daily use, 16s for her "going out on the town" mode.

Bob that car is beautiful.  Mine was built in November of 47, but somehow has 16's.  That is why I was thinking about 15's, seems like there are many more choices in tires for 15's than 16's.  Going to Pate's swap meet this weekend, will see what I can find.

Greg

If you're interested, I have (5) 15" rims that still have the center clips, all in great shape. I also have (4) excellent full wheel covers that are in excellent shape. They're just gathering dust in the garage. They came off my P15.