Snowball Effect

Jim Yergin

Recently, one project has led to another on my 1941 Plymouth wagon. I have been using a small amplifier located in my glove box to play my Sirius satellite radio (using a 6 volt to 12 volt inverter). I have an original radio in the car that I spent quite a bit of money on to have reconditioned a number of years ago but never used it because there was nothing on AM I wanted to listen to. However, I didn't like having to open the glove box and reach over to adjust the volume. Acting on a post by Mark D, I checked out Redi-Rad as a way to use my original radio with the Sirius and purchased a 6 volt positive ground unit. Unfotunately I then discovered my "restored" radio no longer worked. I did an internet search and found someone local who could check out my radio. He discovered the previous work had been done incorrectly and was able to fix the radio. It was at this point the "snowball effect" began. With the radio out I decided it was time to clean up my hodge-podge of under-dash wiring and to install a fuse panel under the hood to replace the multiple in-line fuses. It also gave me the chance to wire in my fog lights and I chose to use a relay and to wire them so they only go on when the low beam headlights are on (per an earlier post by Tim Adams). I discovered at this time that for the last 3000 miles, I have had my ignition coil incorrectly wired and, using in formation posted by Greg G, I corrected that.

I also took the opportunity to remove the balky wiper motor to lubricate it to get it to work smoothly. Since I was looking to getting the wipers to perform correctly, I decided it was a good time to install the double-action fuel pump I had acquired some time ago. But before doing that, I needed to rebuild it to make it ethanol resistant using a re-build kit from Antique Auto Parts Cellar. Since I was going to have to run new vacuum lines for the double-action pump, per Don C's posted suggestion regading a vacuum reservoir, it was also a good time to install the vacuum reserve tank I found on eBay years ago that was advertised as coming out of a 50's era Plymouth. A vacuum tank and double-action fuel pump are probably overkill for wipers on a car that I avoid driving in the rain, but what the heck.

Here is the tank and the fuse panel:

71CCEC96-1017-4E06-9D8F-66C51F6714B2-140

Also, since I was working with the fuel line to the carb, it was also a good time to re-route the line as far as posiible from the exhaust manifold to try and address my hot start problem. Since I was dealing with the hot start problem, I chose to install a wooden insulating piece between the base of the carb and the intake manifold as Chris Bamford had described and a heat shield under that as Greg G had suggested in the past.

This past weekend I finished the last of these projects and now look forward to enjoying my car with the return of nice weather.

Obviously I pay attention the to the helpful tips that are posted on this forum and am grateful for all the information.

Jim Yergin

• Like 1

A number of years ago we had a chip in the porcelain on the kitchen sink. Many thousands of dollars later the result was a new kitchen. Sounds like you ran into the same phenomena. :)

Sounds like you've got things squared away.

• Like 1

Jim,

I used Greg G's helpful hint of unhooking the vacuum line from the carb to the wiper motor, then putting the end of the line in sewing machine oil and operating the wipers by hand to oil the motor.  His hint worked great and my wipers work much better now

Trico service manual says you should hook up a scrap piece of hose to the wiper motor when sucking in oil as the oil will damage the hose and you don't want to damage the hose actually used to run the wipers.

A number of years ago we had a chip in the porcelain on the kitchen sink. Many thousands of dollars later the result was a new kitchen. Sounds like you ran into the same phenomena. :)

Not to hyjack but Lowes sells a Porcelain repair kit that many customers have told me works really well. Probably not what you wanted to hear many thousand dollars later :mellow:

Now that is funny I don't care who you are, Also very true so many times.

Thanks for the laugh.

This is my snowball effect this year. This was last week. Another 6-8 is predicted for tonight and its coming down quick already. More snow possible wed night. I've lost a month of the old car season this year!

IMAG0665.jpg

I have a 12 volt battery in the trunk with a 110 volt converter to run my portable radio that sits on the floor (Hump) I play world war two music with that unit through an old drive in speaker.  I use the 12 volt battery because I can play my CD player up to 8 hours or more.   Easy installation and works great!   DSC03095-1.jpg