1948 Plymouth Running A Little Hot

Rodney Bullock

I have been working on this 1948 Plymouth a friend of mine has, It has dual carbs and dual exhaust. He made a timing line and I set the timing to this line however the car pings going up hill. I set it 2 degress before top dead. We then turned it back 2 degress and it still pinged. We sent the dist. to then and now because it was eating points(bushings bad) Now if we can just get the timing right. I asked him to clean the damper however he says the line is just not there. It must be...right. I mean I had to clean mine twice before I saw it. We tried to put it on top dead center using the plug on the rear of the block head. I checked the vac. advance, I'm I missing something? Big car show this week end I would hate for him to miss it. 

post-63-0-12759100-1366338213_thumb.jpg

When you use the hole in the head over #6 and you don't find the mark, it may mean that the rubber inside the damper has slipped and  the mark could be anywhere.  Use a little brass wire brush to scrub the OD of the damper, the marks gotta be there somewhere.

All an arbitrary line will do is reference how much you advance or retard the timing and won't tell you where TDC is.  Someone will have to clean the dampner.   

I had to do an old trick I learned a while back. I line is not there the damper is very rusty. We wire brushed it and it's clean. I just found a sweet spot for the motor. The car ran very well. I then test drove it. it had great power and no ping. Then I advanced it until it pinged then backed off 2 degress and it ran perfect. Now he has no ping and it runs even. I never found the mark.  

Edited by Rodney Bullock