1949 Dodge B1B Need Help

My headlights say 6v. But the color on the starter is gone so I am going to say its still 6v

good assumption, you can also see on the geni tag the voltage is raised even if the paint is worn off.

Someone stole your oil filter canister. Until you find a replacement you can remove the two lines that ran to it and plug the ports. It is a bypass system, so it can be run without the filter. In fact, many trucks came without a filter. Mine didn't have one when I got it. I found one on ebay and plumbed it up.

Here's a pic of mine to give you an idea of what should be there.

PC300178.jpg

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins

Awesome thanks.

Another question I removed the lid for what I would think would be the air filter that leads down to the carb. It is filled with oil. I wouldn't think that is normal. Does than mean I have a big issue or just someone just poured oil in for some stupid reason?

It is an oil bath air filter. There should be oil in the bottom. Remove the whole filter assembly and clean it out. You can also soak the top section in kerosene to wash out the mesh part. Then add oil up to the fill line upon reassembly.

Here's a graphic explaining how it works. The air flow path is a little different, but the principle is the same.

complex-oil-bath-air-filter.jpg

Edited by Merle Coggins

Asking questions is a good thing. Id recommend that if you dont own a shop manual for the truck that you get one, its very helpful and i refer to mine a lot.

Heres the link for where you can get one for your truck, i believe the part number is "LT3" its definitely worth the $30.

http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/truck_parts.asp?Action=search&c=Trucks+-+Literature

-Chris

Old Dodge trucks are a labor of love, the resale value is literally 1/2 or less of a same condition 48 up Ford F series or 47 up Chevy 1/2 ton. If mine had not been my grandpa's truck, and given to me by him when I was a little kid. it most likely would have been gone years ago. I'm glad it stuck around, it will be going to another generation of the family once I've had my fun with it.

When you go to buy battery cables, make sure the parts store understands the truck is 6v. 4 gauge 12v cables are less than useless on a 6v system, they are dangerous. You want 00 cables for the best starter performance. I have 2g on mine, and they are too light. I do have a set of 0000, but, they are way too thick to fit. Les schwab should still have your battery, that's where the current one in my truck came from in 1994.

I'm starting to think I don't have the time I thought I did to put into the truck right now. It's a pretty solid truck. If I sold it like it is what could I expect to get for it? I just don't want it to sit here and rot away when someone else could put good use to it.

I don't know your age nor storage available, but that looks like a solid truck. If you can, moth ball it. Times change. I moth balled mine for nearly four years. I wouldn't take 10K for it today. I don't think it worth 10K on the market but I really like this truck. My son has a pristine 54 Chevy. I wouldn't trade him and he has a 5,000 paint job on it. 

Running and driveable is always worth more than "ran when parked".  These trucks or projects of this nature, is something that doesn't have to be done overnight, in one week or one month or one year.  I've been working on mine now for approx 30 years.  It's been mothballed several times as circumstances dictate.  Other than repairing a fender that was severely damaged last winter, it hasn't been touched since August 2011.  It's never moved under it's own power since I've owned it although i did fire the engine some 20 odd years ago ( awesome sound, nothing like a cammed  V8 and open exhaust ).  Will I get it done?  Sure, at least I keep saying it will and if not, so be it.  It's my hobby, not my living.

If you're overwhelmed by the immensity of the project, split it up into small projects.  Get it running. or fix the brakes. Reupholster the seat, get the lights all working, redo the box if it needs it, redo the frame in sections.  Small things done move you forward.  Anything you do and have done well, will increase the value.  If the enthusaism and shine of thoughts of a ground up has worn off and reality set in or if you really don't like the truck, by all means sell it and move on to something you do like.

I had very little mechanical experience when I started on my truck. Dave is spot on. I did as he suggested, one system at at time, the engine, electrical, brakes, springs, etc. When I didn't want to spend money I did things that took time and effort.  It kept me focused and accomplishing which is important. Then one day it all came together and I had a usable truck. 

Buy the manual and ask questions.

Whatever, I wish you well. 

A very important piece of advice someone gave me when talking about the Cummins swap I'm doing in my '52 was this:

Treat it like a big steak dinner and just attack it one bite at a time so you won't be overwhelmed.

It sounds so simple but it couldn't be anymore true. Any bit of progress for me is a small victory and keeps me going. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with the old girl just please save her from the scrap yard.

-Chris