Rear Main Seal

52dodge

You probably can't ...unless you find an original nos seal at a swap meet or something as I don't think it's being make anymore.  The bolt in neoprene seal is what you want.  Best Gaskets and I think Fel Pro make one.  Just make sure to clean out any little bits of debris where this seal lives or it will get torn up and seal no more.

The rubber 2 piece slip in seal AKA "Brummer" seal is used on most all the 1953 and later MoPar flatheads. They were very common and available up through the 80's at least. I posted a few years back about this seal. Every chevy 327/350 used this same style too. They are a very common type seal. But whether they are still packaged for the flatheads of 1953 and later I don't know anymore. There are two styles of main cap rubber gaskets too. The shape of them is slightly different between the early and late.

Try locating a rear main seal gasket set for a 54 or later Plymouth or Dodge 230.

Bob

thanks guys,seems like this mystery gasket of mine is finally getting figured out.Im getting outta work now and going over to the garage to take a bunch of pics of the main cap and back of the block.

Oh My! What a Brummer...

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

i was assuming that both the brummer and bolt in style would work since i have the threaded bolt holes.I talked to felpro and they said only the Canadian models used the slip in brummer style which is discontinued by them

ordered a "Best gasket" brand from

Roberts Motor Parts West Newbury, MA
800-231-3180

Part #3675

not cheap $45 shipped

Edited by 52dodge

You ordered the right kit. Mitchells was the genuine real deal and cheaper  though.

That is what I installed as well.  But, as i mentioned, the clearance between the engine and the crank is very minimal and it takes a lot of patience to get the three bolts into the block with the seal and the gasket in place.  I had to grind the heads of the bolts a bit to get enough clearance to line them up and had to put the seal, gasket and bolts all in as a unit, just not enough clearance any other way on my block.  Hope yours is a bit easier.

there are no 3 bolts or plate with this style gasket, the gasket simply slides into a receiving grove in the back of the block,loosen the mains up and its supposed to slide in

• 2 weeks later...

does anybody have a rear main cap laying around to tell me if the holes to bolt in a bolt in style rear main seal goes all the way through the cap

does anybody have a rear main cap laying around to tell me if the holes to bolt in a bolt in style rear main seal goes all the way through the cap

Not trying to be a wise guy, but you really need to invest in a shop manual for your car.  This subject is explained concerning the differences with rear mains and the years involving those changes.

Get one ....You'll be glad you did!

i do have a manual,my motor is also setup for both style seals,the back of the block and the main cap are drilled for a bolt in style but..........the block also has a recieving grove for a slip in style "brummer" style seal which was what the motor had when i took it apart,its all back together now and i was wondering if the holes for the bolt in style are blind or they go all the way through and i should plug them somehow,i didnt think about this till recently after it was back together,my manual does not mention if the holes are blind or threaded all the way through so i dont know how you think im going to find that info in there,maybe you have a special manual you could share that has all the answers?

I just happen to have my rear main bearing cap (from my 52 truck - 218 cu.i) still sitting on the bench at present whilst my crankshaft is off being machined.

In answer to your question - no the bolt holes for the external seal don't go all the way through. The bearing cap has been cast in a way that none of the holes for the cap go right through. The bottom/center hole even has a separate block cast so that it does not go through. I hope the attached pictures work for you - I tried to capture most angles for you...

post-3915-0-06983100-1367563112_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-46109800-1367563121_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-80635300-1367563129_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-52914600-1367563136_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-75203300-1367563143_thumb.jpg

Guest bewillie

THANKS, Desotodav for giving 52Dodge a simple answer. Am sure he appreciates it. Can you use both seals at the same time when you have this set up???

THANKS, Desotodav for giving 52Dodge a simple answer. Am sure he appreciates it. Can you use both seals at the same time when you have this set up???

That is an interesting question. . . I wonder if the rubber on the seal face needs a little oil on it to keep from wearing and if so would the outer seal fail. On the other hand if the inner seal is working then you don't need the outer seal. Anyone on the forum know enough about sealing technology to answer?