6 Volt Light Bulb House Question/ Dash

fourleaf
Go to solution Solved by Young Ed,

I am working on my dash lighting right now and all 4 of my dash light are in pretty rough shape. The 6 wire brade is falling off to the touch. I was wanting to know if any of you have replaced the metal housing and where you can get the replacement parts from? I am going to use 12 volt wiring instead of 6 volt and up the wire count for each. I called Andy B. online parts store and he said that they do not carry the housing for the 6 volt bulb. The actual housing is fine but the inner parts are what i need. Could be a simple fix! Any ideas or help would be appreciated, thanks

There is no 12 wire vs 6 volt wire.  Wire is sold in guage so a wire that is a 14 g wire in a 12 volt system is the sane 14g wire in a 6v olt system.  Yes I agree that  using a bigger gage wire is recommended so at least go with 14 gage.  I also assume that you are referring to the interanl parts of each socket. The spring and the plastic inset that then hold the end button in position.  These are standard and you can get pigtails as they are called at any good auto parts store.  You can get single and also double pigtails.  If the metal  socket is good then just replace the wire and also the internal parts. This is very simple.

Rich Hartung

Take the inner parts to your local parts house.  they should have and illustrated book with pigtails and sockets and can perhaps match you up with  something.  Unless going to 12 v system, do not use 12 v wires on a 6v.  The wires will not be heavy enough gauge.  6v wiring will not hurt you if/when converting to 12v.

Take the inner parts to your local parts house.  they should have and illustrated book with pigtails and sockets and can perhaps match you up with  something.  Unless going to 12 v system, do not use 12 v wires on a 6v.  The wires will not be heavy enough gauge.  6v wiring will not hurt you if/when converting to 12v.

How will a 12 volt wire hurt a 6volt system.  Wire comes in guage 10,12,14,16,18 gage.  The wire is not sold as 12 volt or 6 volt wire.  I have rewired my 39 Desoto with modern wire, the kind without the cloth covering with 14,12 and 10 gage wire.  I have not had any issues with the wire and I am still running a 6v positive ground system.  Cooper wire is cooper wire and there is nothing as 12 volt wire that I know of.  Can you explain I am confussed.  I have had this car rewired for over 25 years.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

He is refering to the wire gauge. If the parts are considered 12V they won't have a heavy enough gauge for 6v. That being said all my sockets I bought were 12v versions that I cut as short as possible and soldered into the heavier gauge wire. I probably end up with a little bit of a drop or an overload but its been in the car since 08 and works great.

He is refering to the wire gauge. If the parts are considered 12V they won't have a heavy enough gauge for 6v. That being said all my sockets I bought were 12v versions that I cut as short as possible and soldered into the heavier gauge wire. I probably end up with a little bit of a drop or an overload but its been in the car since 08 and works great.

Ed,

Parts and electical componets come is 6v and 12 volt for cars and some 24 volt for trucks.  Yes a 12 volt light bulb willnot get enought juice to get it to light fully if using a 6 volt system.  So if he is staying 6 volt with the car/truck and then use the next hevier gage of wire from a 16 to 14 gage the light bulb if still 6 volt willburn just the same brightness.  The hevier gage wire just allow more  amps to be carried over the wire. AN I am not an electrician by any means.  The heavier wire just helps in the 6 volt system.  This is why a 12 volt battery cable which is smaller gage is not recommended for use in our 6v cars.  The car will start when cold but when hot there is not enought juice to turn over the car and they grind and will eventually start.  This is the only place i see the difference.  I have wired my 39 with bigger gage wire than what was standard on the car. The end button where the wire is soldered into the button has never been an issue ther is plenty of room to handle the  button in the pigtail plactic holder and you purchase the buttons based on the size of the wire that you are going to use  most support two gages  like 14/16  or 12/14.  The sockets have nothing to do with the amount of volts. The socket only holds the pigtails and electric connectioins and the wire is providing the current not the socket.  The socket provide the grounding and is an apperatus to hold the light bulb.  I stilldo not get the point of the question.  If I am off base please educate me.  The wire carries the juice not the sockets.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

You are not off base just looking at it differently. When you buy these parts at the counter they dont sell them by included wire gauge they sell them by 12v or 6v. Different way of accomplishing the same thing. Now I don't know if thats because they assume the buyer will know 6v or 12v but not what gauge they need?

How will a 12 volt wire hurt a 6volt system.  Wire comes in guage 10,12,14,16,18 gage.  The wire is not sold as 12 volt or 6 volt wire.  I have rewired my 39 Desoto with modern wire, the kind without the cloth covering with 14,12 and 10 gage wire.  I have not had any issues with the wire and I am still running a 6v positive ground system.  Cooper wire is cooper wire and there is nothing as 12 volt wire that I know of.  Can you explain I am confussed.  I have had this car rewired for over 25 years.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I was referring to the gauge size difference between adequate for 12v versus adequate for 6v.  I guess i should have inserted the word gauge after 12 v and 6v.  I didn't intend to cause confusion which was why the next sentence in my answer referenced GAUGE.  Wire also comes in 8, 4,2, 0, 00, 000 gauges as well as thinner wire than 18 seen in newer cars to switch relays