Windshield Wiper Motor

Go to solution Solved by Jeff Balazs,

Does anyone have a suggestion where to send the windshield wiper motor to be rebuilt? Or if there is a way to check it to see if it needs to be rebuilt? Last time I turned it on before pulling the motor it moved very slowly. Never the less the connecting wire is shot for sure.

Edited by DollyDodge

You are talking electric rather than vacuum aren't you DD? I think that your motors over there are a bit different to ours in Oz. Have you tried opening it up to see if it's just the grease that has gone hard - that seems to be a common problem.

• Like 1

If you feel confident, take it apart and clean out/replace the old grease that has hardened , and clean up the commutator and check the brushes.  I have one on the shelf if you need it.  Both my trucks have vacuum, and they're the closest thing to intermittant wipers you can get!  I grew up with them, and like the simplicity.   Mike

I forgot to mention this......but it would probably be a good idea to take your switch apart and clean up the contacts.

Doing this made a significant difference in how well mine tested out.

Have you got your engine back together? I have missed your postings of late.

Jeff

Dolly I'm sneaking in to see if anyone might know what size grommet is needed for the arms on a wiper motor in a 49 Dodge.

I will be looking into a vac boost if mine isn't giving me what I want. I'll let you know if the boost is a help towards better performance.   Doc.

Thanks for all the input. I got brave and took it apart today. The grease is not completely hard, but not far from it. What kind of grease do I replace it with? All the input wires and switch wires are shot, so I will re do them.

I am a bit nervous to try the brushes. I don't even know where to start. Does someone have directions?

Is there a place to get the rubber gasket that goes between the cab and the wiper arm mount?

Regarding the engine, it has bee a trial in patience. After 18 months he got it all apart. Now we are working on the crank, you might remember a while back I asked about cranks. He said he found some, turns out they were cracked so he wants to fix mine, spray weld I think he called it, so that is being done. The whole thing has been frustrating. I keep watching other people's engines get completed, and he keeps poking along on mine. Oh well we are getting closer.

We used poly-coat black graphite grease in my wiper motor as it's a good lubricant that never goes hard. The wires should not be too hard to replace. I had the same feelings with the brushes as you so I gave the wiper motor to my mate to refurbish as he is more knowledgeable in that area.

I think that our wiper mounting setup is slightly different to yours - the rubber mount under my wiper arm fitting was just a rubber washer.

Glad to hear that your engine is progressing. Mine is out of the 52 truck at present, but should go back in within the week. Things we do hey!!!

post-3915-0-25974900-1365994686_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I worked on the wiper motor this weekend.  Took it apart and put new grease in.  Put it back together and bench tested as outlined in the manual and it ran like a champ.  I was so excited, doesn't take much to make me happy.  I cleaned and painted it as well.  The wires are being made at RI Wiring and follow the gauges size listed in the manual and they have the old wires to duplicate.

Well done DD. Can you post some pictures when you get it all back together with the wires back in as it might be a good reference to others going down that path. I too can relate to getting 'happy' once a small truck project item is completed.

I hope things go as well for you with the crank and engine project. I removed my crank yesterday and sent it off for either a polish or machine. I asked the mechanic about metal spraying and he explained the process for me. He said that my crank wouldn't need it and wondered why I asked. I told him that I had been studying up on the forum and learning as I go,

Desotodav, Yes I will post pictures when it is done.  I talked to RI wiring this morning.  About $18 to make up the wiring, and get this $16 to ship it.  The shipping thing just drives me nuts.  It only cost a couple bucks to send the old wiring to them.  Oh well, they do outstanding work and better than what I can do myself.  Good luck on the crank

• 2 weeks later...