And Then It Just Died...

woodie49

After all the work I have done on the Woodie, I have been driving it around as much as possible to get ready for the 300+ miles down to Dana Point this weekend. I have made similar trips in the Woodie several times.

I drove down to Morro Bay today, about  25 miles away, where I tanked up and drove home.  It has been running fine, but today, at the end of my trip, I stopped at a light and then it just died.  Wouldn't start for anything, acted like it was flooded (which it was).  Fortunatly I was on a shallow hill, so I rolled forward and was able to start by popping the clutch.  Had the keep the RPM up to prevent stalling. It died in front of my garage. Later, I tested the timing, which was still good, but It wouldn't maintain idle for very long and I noted raw gas pouring out below the carb.  It was coming from the throttle valve (butterfly). So, it actually was flooding and if I let the RPMs get low enough, it would kill the engine.

Since the car has been running fine, I thought maybe the needle and seat were the issue.  I pulled the carb off the car and popped the top to inspect and I pulled the needle and seat.  Sure enough, I could see some particles in the seat, so I used carb cleaner and blew out the seat. The N&S look OK, but there is a fair amount of debris in the bowl.  I don't know if I can get a rebuild kit here before Friday, when I am due to take off. I rebuilt the carb a couple years ago, which is probably only about 4,000 miles and I replaced the inline filter at the time.  I was surprised at the amount of junk in the bowl. I did recently let the gas get very low because I was considering dropping the tank to clean part of the chassis, but decided against it.

To what extent can I disassemble and clean the carb with carb cleaner and compressed air and re-assemble without a rebuild kit?  The major gaskets all look good. I don't have a new accelerator pump or any of the internal parts. I am running a Carter B&B one barrel. Just plain stock.

You can probably get by with just cleaning the top of the carb and replace the fuel filter. Run it for a bit and see what it does before making the trip. I would change the oil due to possible gas contamination though. If it runs good then you should make it. May want to drop the tank and clean it in the near future.

Thats my two cents which isn't much.

Raw gas from the car indicates a malfunction needle and seat valve, allowing the float bowl to overflow.  This will cause an over rich condition and puddling or raw fuel on the closed throttle butterfly and or in the manifold.  You need to remove the 6 screws that attach the air horn of the carb from the body. with this off you can access and assess the float and fuel level in the float bowl.  there is a factory spec for the float level, but I have found that running it a 32nd or so lower does not effect performance and lowers the level of fuel enough to prevent heat soak expansion and peculation of fuel out of the bowl.  You can also check the needle valve to assure it is properly attached tot he float and is clean and free of any debris that might keep it from fully closing assuming your float is functional and properly adjusted.  Removing the carb and complete dissasembly is probably not necessary if your car was running satisfactorily prior to this fault.

I agree with Alshere59. Since the carb was rebuilt not too long ago and doesn't have that many miles on it. My motto is never go below a half a tank of gas. First the tanks are old and have rust sediment in them second you never know how accuart your fuel guage is.

I had no problem going to NAPA and getting a rebuilding kit for my car. They usually grumble since the car is not listed in their computer. A good counter person will have no problem looking it up in their parts books.

Is your fuel filter between the pump and carb or between the tank and pump?   If it's between the tank and pump, the junk in the carburetor may be the fuel pump diaphragm beginning to disintegrate.  If you have rubber fuel lines anywhere in the circuit they could be breaking down as well.

I thought I replied to this thread about 4 this morning but I must have not pushed the post button as my reply cannot be found. Yes you can disassemble the carb without a "kit" as long as none of the gaskets are torn. I suggest you install a couple of gas line filters. One between the tank and fuel pump and another between the fuel pump and carburetor.

One other thing to consider is your float. Give it a shake and listen for gas inside it. A sunk float will act the same as a stuck needle valve.

So I found this thread again and was wondering if you made the trip? Probably to soon for an update request but since I am here I thought I would ask. If you made it how did the car run and what did you end up doing to her? I would still be looking at where your trash  in the carb is coming from could be the tank, pumps are even rubber lines as mentioned. Od the filter didn't stop it. Is it the last thing going into the carb? A good quality metal filter goes a long way. Let us know.