Overdrive Won't Engage

woodie49

Plyroadking,

This is a very kind offer.  I have a test to perform tomorrow.  Pending the result, I may take you up on the offer.

In any case thank you so much. 

I can loan you a good one to make the trip, I have several spares

I performed the test for the blocker ring position today and, unfortunately, that seems to be fine.  Because i am working alone, I did the test on jack stands and rotated the drive shaft by hand (I used a strap wrench for the first part of the test).  I was surprised that the drive shaft was so easy to turn when in machanical OD and turning to see if the solenoid would move the additional 3/8 inches inward. I guess this is due to the freewheeling clutch. As soon as the solenoid moved the additional length to engage the pawl into the sun gear, the transmission was then engaged and quite hard to turn by the drive shaft.

So, it appears that the solenoid will engage the sun gear while the car is standing still, but not while moving.

This has made me wonder if there is any reason why I couldn't jump across the contril circuit before moving forward, which should then allow the solenoid to engage the pawl into the sungear and be in OD before moving, I would then start out in OD.  Then I assume I would remain in OD and could actually test run the OD function of the trans.  Obviously, I would need to ensure I did not go into reverse.  But, does this sound like it would cause any damage to the unit?

Success at last! :D

Thanks to the loan of an OD solenoid from Plyroadking, which arrived today, the OD is now working! Karen and i will be leaving for our weekend trip right on time.

The overdrive seems to work great with no noises at all and no hitches shifting into or out of OD.   The transmission itself does have a worn 2nd gear syncro, but nothing too bad. Other than that, it too is silent and seems to operate fine. 

I will need to source an OD solenoid.  I am a little worried about the newly manufactured ones since the first one I got was no good.  I assume they are made in China at this point.  And, nothing against the Chinese, but they seem to have quality control issues.  :o  Anyone suggest a good alternate source or a good place to have one rebuilt?

One thing I have noticed that I don't seem to be able to adjust for is that often when I think I have shifted into 1st at a stop, I am actually in 3rd.  I have adjusted the linkage as explained in the manual, but i don't think that addresses this issue.  I also notice that since I swapped trannys the shift on the column does feel different.  Not as  much of a positive feel when i pull the shifter forward for first and reverse.  I can live with this for a while, but it used to be a lot cleaner.  Any ideas?

Anyway - big thanks to Plyroadking for the loan of the solenoid.  Really appreciate it in time for our trip.

Success at last! :D

Thanks to the loan of an OD solenoid from Plyroadking, which arrived today, the OD is now working! Karen and i will be leaving for our weekend trip right on time.

The overdrive seems to work great with no noises at all and no hitches shifting into or out of OD.   The transmission itself does have a worn 2nd gear syncro, but nothing too bad. Other than that, it too is silent and seems to operate fine. 

I will need to source an OD solenoid.  I am a little worried about the newly manufactured ones since the first one I got was no good.  I assume they are made in China at this point.  And, nothing against the Chinese, but they seem to have quality control issues.  :o  Anyone suggest a good alternate source or a good place to have one rebuilt?

One thing I have noticed that I don't seem to be able to adjust for is that often when I think I have shifted into 1st at a stop, I am actually in 3rd.  I have adjusted the linkage as explained in the manual, but i don't think that addresses this issue.  I also notice that since I swapped trannys the shift on the column does feel different.  Not as  much of a positive feel when i pull the shifter forward for first and reverse.  I can live with this for a while, but it used to be a lot cleaner.  Any ideas?

Anyway - big thanks to Plyroadking for the loan of the solenoid.  Really appreciate it in time for our trip.

Did you have to use your old shifter arms on the trans ends to fit? The OD arms were way differant shaped on the OD trans i bought for my 50 and i changed them  to the original arms to fit the original rods better, but they are very touchcy on adjustment to get the 1st/ reverserve selector to work. It Is very touchy to get into lower gears but I got used to it and now not a real problem! :confused:

I would also like to hear from any other on imputs to eliminate this "touchyness".  Hard for me to say that they are a problem as i bought the car without a motor and the original 3 sd. trans in the trunk along with the shifter arms. Never tried the original 3 sd. :mellow:

Best to ya,

Doug

A powerful strong working solenoid saved the day! Glad it's working.

Bob

Now that you ask the question, I think I did change one of the shifter arms when I swapped the trans. They actually looked alike to me, but I think the original OD one had a clearance issue.  This one does not.  Maybe the configuration is slightly different.

Did you have to use your old shifter arms on the trans ends to fit? The OD arms were way differant shaped on the OD trans i bought for my 50 and i changed them  to the original arms to fit the original rods better, but they are very touchcy on adjustment to get the 1st/ reverserve selector to work. It Is very touchy to get into lower gears but I got used to it and now not a real problem! :confused:

I would also like to hear from any other on imputs to eliminate this "touchyness".  Hard for me to say that they are a problem as i bought the car without a motor and the original 3 sd. trans in the trunk along with the shifter arms. Never tried the original 3 sd. :mellow:

Best to ya,

Doug

The shifter arms on the 3 speed OD's transmissions (1952-54) are same as a regular 3 speed. P15 3 speed shifter arms are different than the 1949-54 cars.

Bob