I wanted an antique vehicle to tinker with, and to use as a daily driver for the short 2 mi round trip from the house to the shop. I was looking for something unique that would also serve as an eye catcher when people drove by my store. One day a customer of mine mentioned he had an old Dodge sitting in his yard for the last 20 years that he was not going to do anything with, and would sell it to me. One look at this vehicle and I fell in love. I could see the potential. Yep, he was in bad shape but I didn’t see all that. I had a vision. My wife calls the truck TANK, because of the green color, and his size. She names all our vehicles. TANK is a 1950 B2C. My friend offered to store the vehicle at his property until we finished building our new house and my garage. The next day the truck was in his garage, on jacks, with the butterfly hood removed, and when I walked in his shop Al had the engine turned over and running on three cylinders. My suggestion: If you want to restore an old vehicle, get about two or three retired guys involved: One with a machine shop, one with a garage, and one that was a farmer. These guys got nothing to do, and lots of knowledge.

Long story short: here is what we’ve done so far. We pulled the head and had it milled. While it was off we then pushed on the valves as we cranked the motor until they quit sticking. Al helped me rebuild the carburetor, and do a full tune up. I purchased a kit from AAJ Brakes and modernized the stopping system: modern disks, calipers, piping, master cyl. Swing pedal, and while we were at it put in a hydraulic slave cyl., and clutch swing petal. Roger, the owner of AAJ lives in Portland, so I was able to drive down to his shop and meet with him. He really hooked me up with his break kit. He was very helpful and fun to talk with about our love for old vehicles. Most of his kits are for cars, and this was a unique application for a ¾ ton. In the end I had to get 5 on 5 lug pattern rims from a 70’s GMC truck so the rotors fit inside the rim. George had to drill the rear rotors to fit the 5 on 5 lug pattern. George also fabricated a new floorboard and battery well too, and patched rust holes in the cab body, replaced the front cab mounts and surrounding rusted floor, and took dents out of the roof, and fixed the frame where the rear cross member was rusted out, and replaced the rear shock mounts, and built me a custom gas tank to replace the Swiss cheese original, and installed a one wire alternator and custom bracket (George can make anything in his shop), and repaired the bottom of the rusted doors, and the back of the cab, and replaced the king pins in the front end, and installed the electric fuel pump he talked me in to buying. Over the summer I got a crash course in body work, and learned how to weld and grind and weld and grind, and grind, and grind. Oh yea, and sand and sand. At the end of the summer, 6 months after first arriving at Al’s place, TANK drove on his own power, up to my new garage from George’s shop in town. I now know a little more about a Bridgeport mills, and hydraulic presses, and all kinds of sheet metal bending, shearing, stamping, snipping, and welding, and the plasma cutter Oh boy, and rebuilding a carb., and flat head motors, etc….. George is a capitalist. At first, I paid him for his time, but after a while, I think he got more value out of me learning and him instructing, and he finally gave me the keys to his shop so I could work on the truck when he was gone.  TANK now sits in my new garage. I rewired the alternator harness, amp gauge, ignition switch, and battery charging system for 12v. I have all the gauges working properly too, and a remote filter system installed, and I removed the oil pan and cleaned out the gunk, and painted the pan hot rod orange, and this week I am replacing the leaking water pump. I’m sure I missed things I fixed. Oh yea, repaired the choke and idle cables, and persuaded the emergency brake to work with a little WD-40 on the cable. I’m working my way towards the back. I am going to replace the fluids in the transmission and rear end next. Final stage is to reassemble the bed and paint the truck. I want it to be on the road by the end of this summer. So that is about it. I am infinitely grateful for the Pilothouse forum and after discovering the site, and observing that it looks like a great bunch of people, I decided to join, and maybe add to the knowledge base. Oh yea, Ruderhaus is German for Pilothouse.   

• Like 3

Packwood? Like the gateway to White Pass Packwood? Middle of nowhere east of Morton and Randle? That Packwood?

I'm originally from Graham, used to go up around Cora Lake and High Rock Look Out all the time as a kid. Blueberry picking, blackberry picking (more than once on the same bush as a black bear, that will get your attention). Deer hunting was almost always on the east end of Riffe Lake.

I bet I've seen that truck before...

Welcome to the forum.

Yep. On HWY 12. On the Cowlitz River. Near Mt Rainier. Gateway to White Pass and the ski resort with the same name. I own the Sports Hut in Packwood. Bought the store three years ago and moved up here from Portland.

OK, I uploaded more pics of the work we've done, and the shop tools, and what the engine compartment looks like with new master cyl. for clutch and brakes, and the remote oil filter, and the new floor pan, and the repair we did on the rear frame (I called it hip replacement surgery), and the rear skirt body work, and new rocker panels, and and and..............

I got to tell y'all, I am really excited about this flathead 6 motor too. I originally thought it would be shot, but the more I run it, the smoother it sounds. I was gonna drop something modern it the truck, but not now. The oil pan was not that dirty. maybe a 1/4 inch of black goo at the low part of the pan. Cam lobes looked good too. Good oil pressure. No oil in the radiator.  

LoL Tim,

^^^"Welcome to the Green Club"^^^

Are you suggesting I'd look good in the green Easter Dress? (Happy Easter!) or ar you shopping for a new dress for yourself for the BBQ?  My personal opinion is that you'd look better in the flat black one.  It matches the ass end of your truck better.  

Tims_Dress_zps1d1ed1bb.png

The joke may be on me, but the dress is on you! 

Who's LOL now...huh?

Hank  :wub:

Edited by HanksB3B
  • Like 1

LOL...I have NO idea where this whole dress thing came from...but I did laugh out loud.... :D

48D

Edited by 48dodger

• 2 months later...

I just got back last night from Lopez Island, WA. Hauled a 1949 b1b back home for a parts vehicle. Got it for $200. It's all Merle's fault. I got to thinking about it when he mentioned purchasing a parts vehicle.

post-5925-0-02643200-1371917121_thumb.jpg

and later when you got to that vehicle and grab an item that is made from unobtainium..who going to get the credit...lol

I am sure you will be visiting that carcass many times in your quest to finish your project...they are a good buy..and for the price..scrap sells for  higher than you paid...good deal on getting a parts truck..

• 6 years later...

Wew... Where did the time go. Well, I'm back. The 1950 B2C is finished and regularly commuting to the shop during the summer. I ended up going with a fautina paint job. Things kind of got a little crazy at the end of 2015 with the loss of my wife due to a heart attack. We were together for 25 years and it took a bit to regroup my mojo. The B2C is a very dependable daily summer driver and regularly attracts people off of HWY 12, and in to my shop, just to talk about the truck. I did so much work to it and I completely lost momentum updating this forum so if you got questions,  just ask. BTW, the wife named him TANK and it stuck.

WIN_20190621_11_18_36_Pro.jpg.311849480716916b93785efaa150e3eb.jpg

In April of this year, I fell head over heels for another car. It's a 1931 Desoto SA. We all know a man can love more than one car. I feel like the 50 Dodge was a flathead gateway drug. Now I'm addicted. The DeSoto was restored back in the 90's and last year it's owner faced his own impending mortality and had to sell it. I am the current steward of this beautiful machine. It's pretty much all original, with a few upgrades. For example, the drive shaft seems to have been fitted with modern u-joints. I pulled the generator off and installed a 6V alternator. The PO also retrofitted a turn signal system and modernized the brake/running lights. I'm going through the brake system now and replacing any components as needed like the brake master cylinder and brake line hoses. The wheel cylinders don't leak but they may get replaced just to be done with em. 

93385130_output_3(1).jpg.8eaf10d79917b785637f46f1cb3edfa1.jpg

I've been taking short trips to work out the bugs. I've had to send the water pump off to the Flying Dutchman in OR to have it rebuilt and now it's working as designed. Oil was disappearing. No fouled plugs. It was getting sucked out the exhaust valves. I believe the oil pressure was running way to high so I adjusted the bypass down. Now it does not lose oil. I'm gonna guess it was blasting so much inside the crank case it was just too much splash on the valve stems. 28 PSI at idle after a long drive vs 60 PSI. I'm approaching 1000 miles in trips and no major issues. It's a great car to drive around during the corona bologna. Nobody is on the roads. His name is Mr D.

Hope Merle and everybody is still breathing.  

• Like 4

Wow, you took a major hit, my condolences to you and my high respect for your renewed life. Gods speed 

Now, that car, that must be a great deal of fun to show that to the public.