Draining the coolant

Normspeed

Someone was asking about draining the coolant and did it make a big mess. Can't find the thread. Here's what I use, along with a piece of tubing on the radiator drain petcock so the coolant doesn't run and drip from the undercarriage. The pour spout makes it easy to re-use the coolant if it's still fresh and uncontaminated.

post-64-13585345576002_thumb.jpg

Norm.....you are pretty darn scientific.

I need to drain and flush my radiator.

I don't have a pan like that, but hey, I have a funnel and one of those plastic tubs they give you in the hospital.

Someone was asking about draining the coolant and did it make a big mess. Can't find the thread.

Norm-

I think that was me...

I have the same pan as you, and I have a length of hose on the radiator petc0ck. This works great to drain the radiator, which I have done several times in my engine goose chase repair.

It was removing the head however, that made the mess. Even with the radiator drained, there is still a bunch of coolant in the heater hoses, and the head itself. With the thermostat closed, the block doesn't drain all that well through the radiator petc0ck. When I popped the head loose, the remaining coolant went everywhere. I put a plastic sled under the car, and it caught most of it.

Pete

Brad, that sounds like a good idea. I plan on draining mine before long. Guess I will NOT use the radiator flush solution I asked about, just run water thru. Got a new top hose yesterday.....about $12 for a heavy duty flexible model. Now I need to research the bottom hose as mine is not really correct, but it works fine.

How about flushing the coolant out and replacing with 100% water. That way you only have to deal with water instead of antifreeze.

That way you only have to deal with the cooling system corroding and lack of water pump seal lubrication. I think running plain water as coolant is a bad idea.

That way you only have to deal with the cooling system corroding and lack of water pump seal lubrication. I think running plain water as coolant is a bad idea.

I think what Ed intended by his post was a way to remove the head without having to deal with antifreeze dumping everywhere. Flushing the coolant out and replacing it with water would be a temporary situation just for the head removal, and then the correct 50/50 mix would be put back in after the head was re-installed.

Pete

I think what Ed intended by his post was a way to remove the head without having to deal with antifreeze dumping everywhere. Flushing the coolant out and replacing it with water would be a temporary situation just for the head removal, and then the correct 50/50 mix would be put back in after the head was re-installed.

Pete

BINGO

Brad, that sounds like a good idea. I plan on draining mine before long. Guess I will NOT use the radiator flush solution I asked about, just run water thru. Got a new top hose yesterday.....about $12 for a heavy duty flexible model. Now I need to research the bottom hose as mine is not really correct, but it works fine.

Bob,

Don't know how your lower hose looks, but mine takes a straight piece of hose. Has a short piece at the bottom, then an elbow pipe, then another short piece of hose. So, when I replaced mine I bought a straight piece of hose long enough to make both the top and bottom hoses.