To Do Or Not To Do

Don Coatney

Don't do it until you need to do valve work or re-ring.  I do not think you will find any carbon to speak of in the head or on the piston unless you are burning oil.  With compression at 125psi across the six cylinders I would be reluctant to mess with it because these engines are hard enough to torque and keep sealed.

I dare you!...I double dare you!...I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU!!!....

Its a matter of pride. You have this performance part sitting on a shelf. WHY?

Why do you have this car? It's a hobby, it's a challenge, it's what keeps our minds sharp....

It needs to be done. Not because its broke, not because its slow, not cuz its needs beautification.....

Its needs to be done because that's who you are....a car guy! 

Now get your "no frills, common sense tools out" and give us a tear down report on a great running engine. 

48D

it's jut the thing to have on your shelf that drives everyone else crazy...lol

it's cast iron, eats nothing, can't go anywhere on it's own..it will be there when needed..

Seems some folks can't stand prosperity..

No sense to eat the eggs if you need chickens on the farm..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Don,

I would be interested in knowing how much tapper at the top of the cylinders you have since the original rebuild if you measured it.  I have an 86 year old machinist here just south of "Frisco" :-) that tells me that the blocks on the flathead six's seem to go out of shape relatively early due to soft cylinder walls. So, anyone that built one up in the last 10 years and thus uses new oils and rings...and then pulls off a head off after 5K or 10K miles...I would like to know how much of a ridge and/or the actual tapper they get.

Best, James 

I'd be putting the Spitfire head on Don as I don't reckon that I could have something that good sitting around my place without being on the vehicle! Surely Murphy's Law doesn't apply all the time!

Just as a matter of interest though (for someone not very mechanically minded like me) - I believe that the Spitfire head will increase your compression, do you have to do any other minor adjustments like changing the timing or modifying fuel mix etc after you put a performance head on?

Desotodav

Don,

I've been keeping my nose out of this so far but the time has come to speak my piece:

Dyslexics of the world UNTIE!

I've been keeping my nose out of this so far but the time has come to speak my peace:

You should agonize over it longer.

-Randy

Don..........its RED.........it must go faster, better, longer, higher......go for it!.

I dare you!...I double dare you!...I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU!!!....

If I had a Red "Spitfire" Head like that, I would be the happiest kid in the world, but my Dad would

not buy me one.         He said, I would drop it on my toes, and I would not be able to talk along

time because of all the soap in my mouth.........

• Like 1

Back in the days to get rid of carbon on the valves and pistons we would set the throttle up a few RPM's and pour some ATF down the carb slowly till the car would almost die or would die. Let it set a few hours and crank it back up and boy would it smoke but the carbon would be gone. After a few minutes of running it the smoke would clear up and besides the smoke does wonders to these Texas size mosquito's around here for a while.

Back in the days to get rid of carbon on the valves and pistons we would set the throttle up a few RPM's and pour some ATF down the carb slowly till the car would almost die or would die. Let it set a few hours and crank it back up and boy would it smoke but the carbon would be gone. After a few minutes of running it the smoke would clear up and besides the smoke does wonders to these Texas size mosquito's around here for a while.

I have never heard of pouring ATF in the carb, but have heard of spraying a little cold water in the carb.

I have heard of this, but in a different manner. A guy I know mixes ATF with one tank of gas once a year for his Indian Motorcyle. He swears it keeps his heads clean. I haven't tried it, but I wiould like to know for sure if it works.

Darren

How many here (besides me) actually had there mouth washed out with soap as a kid for cussin?

I unfortunately experienced that more than once....

I say go for the swap...I'd like to see it on the car at the show in May!

• 1 month later...

This thread is incomplete.....no report or reply from the thread starter.

• Did you respond to the "double dog dare"?

• Did ya drop it on your toe?

• Did Murphy bite you a good one?

----------------------------------------------------

Ya, ma Pa'er busted ma mouth wit da Ivory soap a few time or two.....

---------------------------------------------------

ATF has Hydraulic Detergents that clean things up good fer the engine/injectors and such purty good.   

48D     

Edited by 48dodger

If I have a good running, good driving car during prime season I drive it. If I have a problem that takes it out of that category I fix it. If I have nice to do that won't take it out of that category, I'll do it. If I have a nice to do that may tie up my car for awhile I'll wait until the off season to do it. That being said, I'd do a proper fix on your radiator and wait until the off season to do the head unless you are confident that you can do it quickly without complications..