Fasner Replacement

dctodd1313

i am trying to replace the fender fastner on the cowl since mine were gone.having a hard time trying to find these cage nuts or well nuts or whatever there called.anybody have any suggestions ?i went to big box stores for regular 3/8 x 16 nuts but they are all zinc coated not sure how they will weld up.i am stuck and cant move forward to inner and outer rocker repair until i can get a nut  in the lower cowl apillar . help.

if I read right the lower cowl nut that you speak is swedged into the metal opening...once the crimp is rusted away or pinch is lost..they need be welded back into place...better yet is buying what is called a weld nut...already encapsulated and read to tack where you need them..Restoration Specialties has them..page 212 of the 2012 catalog

I have used flanged nuts.  Many hardware chains have them in the little cardboard drawer specialty fasteners section.  They are plated also but you can wire brush it of or just weld through.  Weld smoke is pretty toxic but for this task just don't inhale  ;)  

ha ha you guys are great i have some "freebie" 3/8 zinc coated nuts im going to try to weld in.kind of off topic but what are your thoughts on 3m body panel addhesive . i want to mold quarters into body.

Great stuff! It's a super way to install panels that are prone to rusting through. It's important that both surfaces are covered in glue before mating them together.

Darren

I needed some cage nuts thirty years ago when I was restoring my 40 Ford Deluxe Coupe (since departed).  Couldn't find them then either, so ended up making my own.  Not that difficult, if you have the square nuts you need.  Just cut a "cross" out of the right thickness sheet metal & make the necessary bends in a vise.

Rich