Check Out This 48-49

We were at a car show today at Dick's Classic garage in San Marcos Tx.  While we were there, we when thru his museum of classic cars. I spotted this 48-49 B series truck, sorry the pictures aren't the best, but check it out!

post-5481-0-84711700-1364073512_thumb.jpg

post-5481-0-03294000-1364073527_thumb.jpg

post-5481-0-84335700-1364073538_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I love the whole truck.  From the outside anyway it appears to be one of the nicest historical restorations I've ever seen. The grillwork is blindingly beautiful,  the wipers look a bit long in the tooth though... maybe it's just the angle of the photograph?

Hank :)  

Edited by HanksB3B

Too long of wiper blades, easy fix. Not too keen on that chromed front bumper. I like the headlight visors, need to pick up another one for mine ($12, motorcycle shop). Can't tell if it is running big rig 2.5" clear beehive parking lights or if the trim rings are body color. I do like the side mount spare tire carrier, a lot more convenient than the factory underbed unit and a necessity if a tank swap for a small car unit was done.

It's a nice mild custom.

When I see a nice truck like this in a museum, I cringe a li'l bit as it has obvious flaws to the trained eye.  My a*retentive personality assumes that when I see something in a museum, it is a representative article from the past, either preserved in its original form or restored to near original form.  The rear fenders are 48, the front clearance light is an aftermartket bolt-on assembly, the wiper assembly probably came out of a '51-53, the non-black wheels, the chrome bumper...it all looks nice, but if this truck had a little more work done to it, it would pass my 'museum quality' litmus test.  But then again, this particular museum is more of an enthusiast showroom and not an automobile archive, so I reckon I should plan to visit it someday in my old '48, and swing by downtown to enjoy a few Manske Rolls :cool:

What are the differences between 1948 and 1949-52 regular cab 1/2 through 3/4 ton rear fenders?

the new bed in '48 had a profile that matched the departure angle profile of the bed side; the only problem was that when them back tires ran through a puddle, they'd shoot a rooster tail all over the following vehicle. 

post-2888-0-46766400-1364155235_thumb.jpg

So late in '48, Dodge extended the length of the fender to align with the bottom edge of the running boards, which did not match the departure angle profile of the bed side. 

post-2888-0-87119000-1364155272_thumb.jpg

It's a subtle difference, but it makes the difference in keeping your fellow motorists from going bonkers. :cool:

• Like 1

Thanks for showing that info. Never knew the differences!

Bob

So all these years I've been on this site we have said that the orginal owner may or maynot have cut the fenders back.

Where did you get your info JBneal? It certainly makes sense, but have never seen it anywhere.

48D

• Like 1

wellllll I went to verify my sources, and could not find the text that I see in my head, thought it was in one of my Bunn books...but I did find some verification in the parts manual:  rear fenders 1096972/1096973 were used on B-1 Cowl, Cab & Express models; 1199509/1199510 were used on B-1, B-2 & B-3 Cowl, Cab & Express models.  Notes in the manual denote serial numbers for part applications, I'm guessing the s/n split is about mid-year '48.   Also, while driving my '48 & '49 around on the back roads, I've gotten caught in the occasional summer downpour.  The '48 would shoot some rooster tails and slush all over the back of the truck; the '49 would barely slush up the rear homemade bumper.  B)

I did see that rear fender part number serial # stuff in the parts book but ended up confused as usual!

that's why I like my parts manuals:  if'n ya can crack the code, the good ones are full of insightful information.  Rear fenders, rear main seals, thermostat housings, turn signals...while doing the initial inspection on the '51 1-ton flatbed, I was surprised to see the truck riding on 6.00x16s; researching the parts manual, I found that this was indeed an optional tire, but only for certain rim widths.  Yep, not only do the 1-ton wheels have different offsets depending on whether the axle is a single or dual rear wheel, but the rim widths vary by options B)