6 Volt Pos ground alternator going south ? (Tod)

James_Douglas

Over the last couple of months, I have noticed that my 6 volt POS GRD alternator has been taking more RPM to self energize.

Since I did the trans work last week which necessitated a lot of wiring work and the fact that I added a #8 wire from the case of the alternator to the metal dash, I have noted some strange things going on with my AMP gauge.

It has been reading almost no charge even when everything is on. The lights are dim and come up when I rev the engine, but again it is taking a lot of RPM to do it.

If I pull the battery cable while running I need to run up the RPM a lot to get the lights and heater up on full.

If I run all the big electrical users, head lights, radio, heater, and radiator fan, and come to a stop, I can kill the engine as the voltage at idle is below what the coil needs.

Has anyone seen this kind of subtle partial failure of an alternator before ?

I am driving south from SF tomorrow for a car show and I am wondering if I am setting myself up for trouble if it completely goes on that drive. I am charging my spare Optima 6V and taking it along just in case.

Best, James

I am far from an expert on alternators, especially single wire ones. But I will mull over your symptoms and see what guesses could be checked out. Perhaps Bob Amos could suggest things to check out.

What car show are you going to? I am planning on getting up to Canada College in Redwood City for the Mid-Peninsula club's Friendship Day.

James about 6 months ago my 6 volt positive ground alternator started doing the same thing, it turned out to be the internal voltage regulator. I went back to the shop here that build it for me and they put in a new one and it has been fine ever since. DW

P.S. It was about two years old when it went out.

I am far from an expert on alternators, especially single wire ones. But I will mull over your symptoms and see what guesses could be checked out. Perhaps Bob Amos could suggest things to check out.

What car show are you going to? I am planning on getting up to Canada College in Redwood City for the Mid-Peninsula club's Friendship Day.

I will be there if the new trans does its thing and the alternator does not totally die on the way...

James