Wheels And Tires For A 1948 Plymouth Coupe?

Diesel

When I bought this car a while ago, it came with Uni-lug wheels with 14" tires. I've recently got it up and running (and stopping) and it turns horribly with these tires on it. I want to get stock wheels and tires, but can't find the specs for them. All I know is they're 6.00X16.. But I'm not sure if that's the right ones, and I also need the tires size meant for that car.

Thanks!! :)

(best pic of my wheels that I could find)

post-5709-0-08507900-1363384914_thumb.jpg

Actually, a 48 model would have come with 15 inch wheels.......they changed from 16 to 15 during the 47 model year.

(someone correct me if this is wrong)

Several persons have said they like the 215x 15 radials best for size in the fender opening. 

However, some like a 205x 15. 

The radials can be used with original rims which are 4 1/2 x 5 bolt pattern (i think that's right).....or you can get a

new steel rim from some vendor like Wheel Vintiques.  Those orig. rims can sometimes be found in salvage yards that

have old cars, in our classified parts for sale section here, or on ebay. 

Any 1/2 ton (4x4 72-about 84 only or any 2wd) Dodge truck/van through about the mid 1980s can donate its 15" wheels. So can : Ford LTD, Fairmont, Fairlane, Mustang, Ranchero, Torino, Ranger to 2000 or so, early Explorer, Bronco 2... Measure carefully, the 4x4 wheels have the bigger center hole, some of the car center holes are too small. Ranger STEEL spare wheels have holes correctly drilled so you don't need to break off any locator pins in your drums (trucks had them, not sure about the cars).

None of the listed will take factory 40s or 50s center caps, but, all of them (except alloys) can take full wheel covers.

My 49 truck currently wears a set of 15" 1978 Ramcharger pop top 4wd rims. Fit like they were made for it. Have also test fit it with 1979 L'il Red Express wheels and LT235/75R15 that normally live on my 69 D100. They fit, but it's hard to turn...

If you just have to have 16 inch wheels (and why not, they look fine) check 90s Crown Vics. And run a 215/85R16 tire, same height as a 6.00-16, you may get a bit of a height gain though versus the stock 15s.

Edited by Scruffy49

I spoke to Coker about some wide whites and they said a good daily driver tire was the 205-75-15. Check with them to make sure that's right but imthink it is. They can give you what sizes you will need. The guy I bought mine from put 255-75-15 on my 48 p-15 coupe and that is a truck tire so I am in the process of switching to some wide whites also. Good luck:)

I've got Coker Classic Radials on my 1941 coupe.........195/75x15 and 235/75x15 on 15x6,15x7 Chrome Smoothies from Wheel Vintiques, fit is fine, ride & handling much improved, no clearance issues either........andyd

post-612-0-32759600-1363516744_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone got a suggested modern tire size to fit in a 48 spare tire well? Mine is wearing radials, but I don't think it will fit in the spare tire well.

Darren 

I've got 215/75R15s on my P15 , and one in the spare tire well, all on original wheels.  The spare is a tight fit, but if you angle the tire a bit, it will slide in (and out)

Wayne

I bought a very nice used 165-70-15 radial for my spare tire ($30 mounted and balanced), and could actually stand to to have a slightly wider tire on a stock rim, and still fit into the wheel well.

Unfortunately the Mopar rim was 4/12" wide but had the bigger chrysler bolt pattern, won't fit my car. Now to find a 4 1/2" by 41/2" pattern wheel for a spare! I do have a line on a local one.

My car does run  215-70-15s,  A slightly narrower tire as a spare seems closer to outside dia. of the wider tire (easier on the spider gears in the rear end)  and i don't have to keep 50mph or less as with the mini spares.

Still the idea is a Spare, not a permanent replacement after a flat tire. Just make sure that you have a jack that will lift the tire to were it can be removed, mine will Not come off with just a sissor type jack, also needs a jack to lift bumper to take the wider tires off (fender clearance).

Just my 2 cents,

Best to ya,

Doug

look close behind my spare and you will see the scissors jack secured in place and lugged with a screw to keep it from rattling...(lug wrench removes the jack)...I do not trust the original jack...never have cared for the bumper jacks....the tool kit for the jack is in the long bag alongside the spare...I went with the late model space saver as I have to have that profile wheel..it has not only got to be positive offset but of the correct disign (bell) for the calipers to clear..I have 12.1 rotors on the front..stock wheesl I am afraid will not fit proper given my wider suspension front and rear...smallest wheel that will fit is 16 inch...

the later wheels will give you the better chance for clearance on calipers on the average due to the offset design...I just looked and found that you can get a 185/75R16 to fit that donut rim and not limit your highway speed while in use...it is a spare..emergency use only...keeps you from being stranded...for the record,  I have a set of mini van rear steels on the rear of the coupe now as shop tires...as soon as I get off my keester and swap my front hubs and calipers to the newly modified 5 luggers..I will use the other two van rims for roll about till I put the aluminum wheels on the car when finished...

I will look at some spares while next at the wrecking yard for a full size suitable spare and lose the donut tires myself one day..I assure you the 225/70/16 is not going to  fit in the well...

I bought a very nice used 165-70-15 radial for my spare tire ($30 mounted and balanced), and could actually stand to to have a slightly wider tire on a stock rim, and still fit into the wheel well.

Unfortunately the Mopar rim was 4/12" wide but had the bigger chrysler bolt pattern, won't fit my car. Now to find a 4 1/2" by 41/2" pattern wheel for a spare!

Bigger Chrysler pattern ? Are you talking newer Chrysler wheel?    4 1/2 X 4 1/2   pattern ?

Bigger Chrysler pattern ? Are you talking newer Chrysler wheel?    4 1/2 X 4 1/2   pattern ?

A friend bought a 49-50's chrysler frame only. Removed the 3.54 pumpkin and sold it, frame was scrapped. I Stole one of the wheels to use as a spare.

Pattern on the wheel was to large but had the clips/holes appear as a mopar, aassumed it would fit my 50 ply. Wrong! :(

• 5 months later...