• 9 months later...

so tear down started today....

before and after:

20140530_113725_zpscz0zmmcp.jpg

20140530_152713_zpsvetqe2qa.jpg

this is one of the cab mounts that the previous owner had...no telling me CA has strict rules!  This scares the crap out of me!

20140530_141255_zpsq9ke0t6l.jpg

• Like 1

Looks wise: appears front wheels not centered in fender wheel wells? Or just the photo angle?

Safety wise: Those body mounts would scare anybody except Maybe Evil Kneilval. Spelled wrong I know!

Is that a rag joint in the steer shaft above the front shock mount in your pic? If so, another place just waiting to Fail!

SMALL?? details to some can Kill others!  :o

Will be a nice project with a Correct build.

Best,

DJ

Totally understand that!

DJ

• 1 month later...

Well finally got the '94 moved last night.  Left my place at 6 got home at 11:30.  All four wheels had seized and was a bit of work getting them free again.  The frame will require a bit of work and cleaning.  Any suggestions for a good method/process welcome.  I'll most likely have to invest in a geni to run any equipment as my buddies shed has no power for at least a year yet.  Enjoy...

20140714_184052_zpsr9l2qhmj.jpg

20140714_184104_zpszmtxhiqy.jpg

20140714_195612_zps1vfd6hfe.jpg

By the paint job that looks like a spring special. Sure you want to cut it? ;)
Bet it's going to be awesome.

Edited by TrampSteer

Putty knives, wire brushes, wire wheels, portal drill, grinder, rags, degreasers, wax and grease remover, 40/80/120 grit squares of sand paper, emery cloth for the tough spots, business card of a massage therapist, band-aids, beer, tarp for all the little grease balls you'll smash with your cheap shoes, cheap tennis shoes, gloves, safety glasses, glasses, cheap rattle can primer for bare metal, and a timeout chair. Oh and Duct tape.....cuz you can always use duct tape on any job.  ^_^

If I remember right, that's gonna be a sectioned frame...sent to the factory in parts to be bolted up at the factory. Will have to google it. if it is you'll need to double check those rivits.

48D

I think I don't/won't section the frame.   I spent the day getting the 53 cab free of the frame it's on and pulling all the stuff added by the "ratrodder".  Lots of things to fill in and they cut the dash a bit on the left hand side by the speaker area trying to put a speaker in...totally mangled that area.  The passenger rear frame mount wasn't even attached to the frame!   All this isn't a big deal but I am starting to envision the cab as it will be in it's final form.  For your viewing pleasure:  all the parts that will make TODD and a picture of the power plant (phone camera was doing odd things).

20140718_142902_zpsvycrjzj6.jpg

20140718_143148_zpszb1zsjou.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Cabs all cleaned out of parts, bare cabs now.  Most of the dents pounded out as good as they need to be prior to cutting and welding (which will cause their own issues).  I hope to start cutting in Jan.  

20141223_105204_zpssxi5dgey.jpg

• Like 2

That's going to look pretty awesome when it's all said and done.  I forgot where i saw it but there's a build where the guy made a crew cab on a modern chassis using two truck cabs as well.  Looking forward to seeing it all

Edited by 1TonDirtyMopar

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

spent the day cutting cabs up...now the parts go will go off for blasting prior to puzzling back together.  I toyed with the idea of making the rear doors 24" but it seems to stretch the cab too much so I think I'm gonna go with the original 18" size I had planned.  I split the cab down the back middle to widen the back to keep the sides of the back angling out as it goes back. The rear of the front cab half I cut the center out to do that.  Helping me today (and thru the cab build) is Bob my local paint guy, I'm paying him to help and teach me what to do, especially the cab roof rebuild as it is compound curves all over...I'll get to learn how to French wheel!

pictures of the cutting:

20150226_093431_zps8epul8jc.jpg

20150226_095803_zpsxif8f8ce.jpg

20150226_133641_zpsqwlzq6v2.jpg

20150226_135436_zps0g7z1w4d.jpg

20150226_140645_zpspukj3fgp.jpg