Ammco 1750 Brake Gage

Tom Skinner

Gents,

I was lucky enough to score an Ammco 1750 Brake Gauge on ebay for $30.01.

It was however missing the micrometer post and the "heal: consentricity post".

My question to anyone that owns one is:

What is the length of those posts.

Today I purchased the 5/8" Steel Stock from a Hardware store to machine them.

I have everything else. Its the post that goes in the 10" 11" or 12" peg (How Long?)

The Post that comes out of the Spindle side (how long?) and also where is it notched to check the drum for round?

I need Lengths and notch measurements.

Thank You!

Tom Skinner

Huntersville, NC.

Edited by Tom Skinner

The dial post.

Length not all that critical. Just needs to extend out the the width of the shoe, and not beyond, where it would strike anything when going around to set the shoe.

post-80-0-12538300-1362934785_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

Thank You!

Is the other one critical (Lengthwise ) for checking the drum?

The micrometer shaft length would be critical to getting a precise measurement if you had the correct micrometer dial with a concentric shaft. At this point the micrometer shaft would allow to check for an out of round drum once you set its length manually at one point. Without a concentric dial shaft no actual measurement could be made or transferred. Dial is set for 1/2 the measurement to set the shoes.  With a shaft made for the dial position the tool you have will at least allow you to evenly set the heel and toe ends of the shoes. Not sure how much you know about the ammco. Just throwing that info out there. I am not an expert with the tool and am not trying to represent myself as such. Hope the info is helpful. If you need any more specific measurements, I will try to help :)

Adding a pic to show how the end is rounded where it would meet the drum when checking for out of round. Not sure that it showed up well in the other pics.

post-80-0-50141800-1363105663_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

I have  a drawing that I think BlueSkies made from his pin for another forum member who had an Ammco gage without a pin.  I used it to have a follow POC member make a pin for me for a brake gage I bought on eBay.

But like others, I'm struggling with this new format.  I can't attach the figure.  Does the "green tree" replace the paper clip?  If so, I guess I'm like others, when I click on it the whole screen goes grey, and my only recourse is to hit the "back" button.

Maybe someone can do a search and find the drawing for him.  Lee

Thanks for the last picture. I am getting it right with a grinder and file.

As far as getting someone to make another Micrometer Dial Pin, that would be great!

I will continue to look for one at swap meets, ebay, etc. until I find one.

I do not have a lathe or the requisite machinist skills to make one.

Simple rod machining like the last picture is within my skill set.

Thanks again!

Tom

But like others, I'm struggling with this new format.  I can't attach the figure.  Does the "green tree" replace the paper clip?  If so, I guess I'm like others, when I click on it the whole screen goes grey, and my only recourse is to hit the "back" button.

This may or may not help. 

If you want to attach from your computer: click more reply options.

Then you need to scroll down to see that paper clip.

Then you can browse your computer to find the item you want to attach.

EDIT: Green tree is, as I understand it, is for images stored in places other than on your computer.

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

This may or may not help. 

If you want to attach from your computer: click more reply options.

Then you need to scroll down to see that paper clip.

Then you can browse your computer to find the item you want to attach.

EDIT: Green tree is, as I understand it, is for images stored in places other than on your computer.

Thanks Shel.  That was the help I needed.

Here's the measurements for the pin.

post-250-0-11130800-1363175898_thumb.jpg

Edited by Furylee2
  • Thanks 1