Puzzled?

48WingNut

Hi I just recently purchased a 1948 dodge 1 ton truck. I was checking out the battery under the driver side floorboard when I noticed it wasn't hooked up! But it still turned over! After a little investigating I found another battery under the passenger side floorboard that was hooked up. Any ideas why there are two batteries? Thanx!

48WN

Just for fun here's the batteries that powered my 24 volt electric pontoon boat motor. These ought to start an old Dodge on a cold winter morning.

(4) 6 volt golf cart batteries hooked up in series.:rolleyes:

solarbank.jpg

Guest Dave Claussen

My truck had 2 battery compartments, same as your's. It spent part of it's life in Colorado, previous to that , somewhere in Pennsylvania. I'd guess that the extra cranking power was the reason for it. It didn't have two batteries, though, just the place for them. The passenger side was just a hole made with a cutting torch and a piece of flat sheet metal for the cover. Definetely not a factory installation! In a word-ugly. But I guess it served the purpose.

Here is a simple schematic. The one's that reg posted are in series 6X4= 24,

in parrellel, you multiply the amps but maintain the voltage. So if your truck is still 6V and you want to run two bats you want parrellel. I remember early 60's MGB's ran 12V pos by running two 6V in series. Musta been a LUCAS invention........

connecting-batteries.gif

Reg-those deep cycle batteries don't have a lot of cranking amps. The power output of a deep cycle battery is at a lower amp rating over a longer period of time compared to a conventional automotive battery. They also have a different charging profile over the charging cycle. Likewise-an automotive battery will give you a reduced output cycle when used to power and electric vehicle. Learned this during my CUSHMAN factory training, and training with batt companies. MBF

Well I checked today and they are wired up parallel. Not sure why the newest compartment (cut out with a torch and looks ugly) was the one that was hooked up. Both batteries work and will be hooked up. Might as well use them. Still have some wiring to work out. There is a box under the hood that has wires running from it to another box mounted to the frame back by the rear bumper. Anybody have any ideas as to what that is? I'm new with this old 6v systems. Thanx for all your inputs!

48WN