Borge Warner Overdrive Problem

martybose

Well, I searched for overdrive noise, but most of the posts seemed to be about throwout bearing issues. Mine's a little different, so here goes.

My R10 OD box was installed a number of years ago, and has worked flawlessly and quietly. Recently I took the car out for a drive, shifted into and out of OD several times, no issues. I come to a stop sign, take off and go through the gears, then shift into OD, and the OD suddenly starts whining. Stopped the car, went through the same sequence several times, the gearbox is totally silent until the OD engages and you step on the gas, then a whine. After a few tries the whining starts getting a little louder, so I stopped, locked out the OD and drove (silently) home.

So, has anyone ever had this happen and find a cause that fixed it? Unfortunately, the guy who rebuilt the box and installed it retired and moved a few states away, so I can't take it to him. The tranny itself seems fine, and the whining only occurs under power in 3rd over. Maybe a bearing or a thrust washer? Any thoughts?

Marty

Have not had your OD problem. The first thing to check is the oil level in the OD which could cause this problem. The reason it could cause the problem is with low oil, the planetary gears are not getting enough oil. These gears only move during overdrive operation. I would guess that you get the same noise in first and second gear overdrive.

I'd check two things after the fluid, first would be to check that the four bolts that connect the drive shaft to the parking brake drum are tight, the bolts are pressed into the trans output flange and brake drum, I have had them not seated/pressed in fully and the brake drum can rattle around and create noises. I would recommend dropping the drive shaft and seeing if you can wobble the drum any. the second thing that i would check would be the tightness of the large nut that holds the rear flange/brake drum assembly to the splined output shaft of the overdrive unit. I have ran into two different sizes of nuts, either 1&1/4 inch or a 1&1/16 inch, it requires a socket to fit in there. If it is loose the entire output shaft can flop around a little and the ring gear will rub on the inside of the overdrive housing. with the drive shaft off you can probably yank on the brake drum assembly and see if you can detect any wobble in the shaft.

I would email this guy...he's gone the most in depth I've ever seen on overdrives, and he lives in frisco.......Or George Asche:)

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/member.php?u=52

"frisco"??? Don't go using that slang term anywhere near a person who is from San Francisco.

Well, I searched for overdrive noise, but most of the posts seemed to be about throwout bearing issues. Mine's a little different, so here goes.

My R10 OD box was installed a number of years ago, and has worked flawlessly and quietly. Recently I took the car out for a drive, shifted into and out of OD several times, no issues. I come to a stop sign, take off and go through the gears, then shift into OD, and the OD suddenly starts whining. Stopped the car, went through the same sequence several times, the gearbox is totally silent until the OD engages and you step on the gas, then a whine. After a few tries the whining starts getting a little louder, so I stopped, locked out the OD and drove (silently) home.

So, has anyone ever had this happen and find a cause that fixed it? Unfortunately, the guy who rebuilt the box and installed it retired and moved a few states away, so I can't take it to him. The tranny itself seems fine, and the whining only occurs under power in 3rd over. Maybe a bearing or a thrust washer? Any thoughts?

Marty

Can you put it into first over or 2nd. over with no noise??

6v. or 12v. ?

Try grounding out the govenor ground wire to relay bypassing both govenor and back up switch checking for poor connection between the two and eliminate possible ground problem to relay, therefore not energizing solenoid engagement.

Some thoughts,:confused:

Best to ya,

Doug

I'd be checking the rear OD unit fluid level fast!

Thanks for all of the replies; I just checked back in to read them. To answer the questions, the OD is shifting perfectly, and there is no slippage of any kind when the OD is engaged. My car is 12V, but still running a 6V solenoid, and all of the electrical logic is handled by a relay system that I designed using all new parts from McMaster-Carr, which is working perfectly.

The consensus seems to be to check the oil level. The problem is that the car is 100 miles away from my tools, so I guess I will plan to bring some tools up on the next trip so that I can remove the seat and the floor pan and check the oil level; I'll call my mechanic and see if he remembers what oil he put in.

I will check all of the bolts around the driveshaft, but since the noise only happens when the OD engages and is totally silent at the same speed with the OD locked out, I'm pretty sure the noise is internal to the OD.

Marty

My sincere apologies to Marty for derailing the thread.......Tod, why is frisco inflammatory to the natives of San Francisco? :confused:

Don't know, as I don't live in "the City". And many of the people that live in San Francisco view us in the 'burbs' as country bumkins so I haven't bothered to research it much...

Oil IS shared, trans/OD unit only fill both on intial install! After that check trans plug only after running. Recommrended oil manuel- borg-warner= GL-1  90 wt. Avail. at Napa if they will look at catolg of trans oils! Check  level from under car.

Also check in/out OD  engagement of Cable for complete stroke at trans, my best guess now!

Best to ya,

Doug

Oil IS shared, trans/OD unit only fill both on intial install! After that check trans plug only after running. Recommrended oil manuel- borg-warner= GL-1  90 wt. Avail. at Napa if they will look at catolg of trans oils! Check  level from under car.

Also check in/out OD  engagement of Cable for complete stroke at trans, my best guess now!

Best to ya,

Doug

Thanks for the additional info on the oil, as I don't have my manuals up here yet either.  I'd love to check the oil from under the car, but with my car being lowered and my jack and jackstands being where my tools are, it's probably easier for me to pull the floorboard and go that way.

I didn't realize the oil was shared between the two, so I can add that to the things I have learned this week.  Thanks!

Marty

There can still be oil in the front half of the OD trans but little lube in the back OD half. When the OD unit is starved long enough for oil the sun gear will make a whine and then "ZING" and seize up inside the  ring or annulus gear. Then you are back into 3rd direct and no OD engagement possible although the trans works fine otherwise. .

I am not saying the OP's issue is low oil though, it does need to be checked first off- both levels as already mentioned above.

Bob

• Like 2

Strange how the oil levels end up....On mine the main case will become overfilled and the OD section will be low. I have the trany out and apart to correct this. There is a passage that should keep the oil levels the same but for some reason the oil seems to be held back by the anulus ring.....

If I cant get this resolved I am going to put a balance line between the two cases.

Has anyone else had this problem?

attached a copy of an original gasket that goes between the main case and the OD case, show all proper holes. One is for sharing lube oil between cases. Forget which one, maybe some used a std tailshaft/maind case gasket without all the holes??

Just a thought,

Doug

post-3654-0-76334900-1358632447_thumb.jpg

Fluid level is critical, I bought a trans from a guy that said it whined a little but probably just had a worn bearing.....

post-3602-0-14840900-1358780196_thumb.jpg

Edited by plyroadking

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

I was driving into town last night and my Overdrive started to make noise and then all of a sudden I was thrown out of OD and back into direct 3.  since then the OD will not engage. It sounds like the situation that Dodgeb4ya’s described.  What can I do to fix it?

Most likely the OD case ran low on oil and the planetary set seized up.

Bob