4X4 Pilothouse?

41/53dodges

Has anybody built their own 4x4 pilothouse? Not so much a heavily modfied monster truck, just replacing axles and adding a different transmission and transfer case. I have been thinking about doing this, a buddy of mine is willing to give me some dana 44's if i can use them, plus the trans out of an IH scout. should be able to mildly modify the bellhousing to use the stock engine (if i cant have a flathead, forget it!) so does anybody have any experience here?

Thanks,

Josh

Have a friend with 2 out in WA. 1950 is heavily modified, big V8, Dana 60s front and rear. Competition mud truck. His other one is running a 251 with matching 4 spd, divorce mount NP205, spring over CJ5 sourced axles, frame is stock with the t-case crossmember added. He did cheat though, he started with a one ton... and it has barely enough wheelbase/frame length to add the transfer case.

He also cheated in the fact he has a couple round nose Power Wagons to model stuff from (and rob parts out of if needed).

There is a guy around here with a 4X PH. Unfortunately everytime I see him he's going the other way and by the time I get turned around to chase him down He's gone, so I dont know what drivetrain he has. :(

Hopefully (if I dont catch him before) after I get my truck on the road and we pass he'll slow down or pull over so we can drool over each others trucks. :P

There is a guy around here with a 4X PH. Unfortunately everytime I see him he's going the other way and by the time I get turned around to chase him down He's gone, so I dont know what drivetrain he has. :(

Hopefully (if I dont catch him before) after I get my truck on the road and we pass he'll slow down or pull over so we can drool over each others trucks. :P

stalker!  :P

I have a 4X4 ph but it is sitting on a 1998 Dakota ,318 auto,post-1287-0-56209700-1361852929_thumb.jpgpost-1287-0-40226600-1361853027_thumb.jpgpost-1287-0-56209700-1361852929_thumb.jpgpost-1287-0-63460000-1361853057_thumb.jpg not finished, but will be soon I hope. When finished will be a little red express. Brackets in picture are new front cab & fender mounts to be attached to Dakota frame, they are on now, worked out very well.Yellow truck is B1F 128 wrecker as original as possible. :rolleyes:

post-1287-0-32131400-1361853113_thumb.jpg

post-1287-0-02442100-1361853142_thumb.jpg

Edited by billschwindt

I'm in the process of building a 48B1D 4x4. I've boxed the frame from one end to the other removed a couple of redundant crossmembers. The running gear (axles and suspension) came from a 79 Chev 3/4 ton with 10 bolt front and 14 bolt rear and a 6 inch lift. The engine/trans/xfer case came from a 78 W150 (318 2bbl, 727 and 208). I just put the cab back on to mock up the toe board and fire wall.

Still a long way to go slowly working it through.

George

If it all fits, parts is parts.

I'd convert my PH, but it makes more sense to convert the 69 D100 into a 69 W200, stronger frame, stronger springs, already has an RV cammed 318 and tow pack equipped 727. Cheap to do around my neck of the woods, nobody wants GM spec'd solid axles and t-case, they drop opposite of the "coveted" Ford/Dodge versions of the same axles and cases. A D44 is a D44, a D60 is a D60... there are some weaker and some stronger versions in all source lines.

Alright, so if I decided to move forward on this, I would have the extra parts laying around I would want to sell and hopefully recover my money from them, would anybody be interested?

-front axle- has all new brakes, drums, bearings, king pins, paint

-rear axle (chrysler 8.25 jeep cherokee axle, 3.55 ratio) already adapted to fit a stock PH suspension

-set of 4 stock rims and 215/85-16 truck tires

-3 speed column transmission and controls

What does everybody think these parts would be worth? Hopefully it would cover my losses and make it an almost even upgrade!

This is (was, I just sold it) my 1948 Dodge 4x4 Pilothouse woodie with all Dodge Powerwagon running gear.  It was delivered to the original owner just like it sits.  If they could put 4x4 running gear in a Pilothouse in 1948, I'm sure you can do it.

1949 Dodge B1B108 4x4 Woodie

Rusty's 112 truck appears to have for sure a 1/2 ton WC military front axle and I would be surprised if it did not have the same application for the rear axle. Would be interesting if he could tell us if it has a 1 or 2 speed transfer case. I have PM Charles Furman to ask him some of the same questions about his truck that he recently sold. I have a 1941 WC-12 Military 4x4. Love Pilothouse Dodges also although I don't own one.