Poll: Adding Additional Forum Granularity By Series, Years, Projects Or ?

Sponsored By  

Additional Forum Categories Poll  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Add a forum for project build threads?

2. 2. Change forum to add range of years, I.E., pre WWII, post WWII, Late 40's - early 50's, Mid to late 50's

3. 3. If yes for Question 2, should car and trucks be combined?

• Combined
    • Separate by year groups for car and trucks
  4. 4. Should we have a modified only section?

My goal is to grow the site by expanding coverage of all flathead powered (200 -265 cu) vehicles.

However setting up a structure that enables members to quickly find the the best place to post/search while not making it so fractured with too many categories is a difficult balance. 

Please take the poll and add your comments as to what structure would make the forums more productive and fun for you.

I think adding more forums for specific groups is a slippery slope. I actually like having everyone working together on a common forum. Having the cars and truck separated is good, even though there are several common issues. I just worry that having different forums for every group would break up the family, so to speak. I would rather read through 1 or two forums to see what's happening, rather than have to follow 4 or 5 different ones to keep up with everyone. One example of too many forums would be the DEPTCA forum. Pretty much all of us DEPTCA members just use the Pilot-House forum anyway. Could the forums just be renamed "30's, 40's, 50's Mopar Trucks" and "30's, 40's, 50's Mopar Cars"? I know it all started out from your love of P15's, D24's, and Pilot-House trucks, but it seems to have grown to include a much wider range of vehicles, which has probably instagated this poll.

On this same topic, the Technical Archives forum seems to be confussing. I believe it should be used to host threads with great technical information. However, it seems to often be used to just ask technical questions that could be answered on the general forum just as easily. Could the Technical Archives forum be locked from posts and have administrators move certain threads there that are deemed worthy?

There's my $.02 worth,

Merle

• Like 2

Thanks for giving this some thought. Though I do love it here and have for many years, I think there is always room for organizational improvement. For what it's worth, this is another forum I frequent and I find the format to be quite 'comfortable,' well thought out, and easy to navigate; and I always get a little chuckle out of the category descriptions: http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/

• Like 1

I'm happy with the current set-up, but if there is to be any change, a separate "OT" section would be OK.

As it is now a lot of threads don't particularly interest me but its easy enough to spot. those, based on the subject line, preview and/or originating poster (and I rarely even visit the truck side or adverts)

The only thing I would like to see is the combining of threads that are on the same build. It sometimes turns into a blog sitiuation with some of the builds here, Often leading to a hunt for the prior threads to make sense of a good project.

Otherwise, I agree with Merle. Simple is better.

48D

I would like to see a view whole thread option instead of having to load pages 1 at a time. Also some way to move peoples errant post to the proper forum..... sales, wanted, tech,....etc

How about a color change???? Tan, pink, dark brown, and lavender are more suited to a ladies sewing forum than a car site.

I had actually checked the yes to the "range of years" option.   Before I hit the go button, I read Merle's post and I changed to no after considering his input.   There is so much in common between the pre war, post war and 50's cars that having us all together seems to make sense to me also.

Edited by IowaMark
  • Like 1

I get along just fine with the existing format, however it would be nice when some one is doing a complete project and wants to document it to have a separate place for it.  It could be anything from a different brake system, a transmission replacement with an automatic or 5 speed, how to do things, rewire, new floors, rack and pinion steering, power steering, air conditioning or anything of interest to the people that like technical how to articles.

How about just a header subject line with those major items identifying the type of post or thread the member is posting.  This would accommodate those who don't want to get involved with newer or older car, get immersed in build threads etc. 

Some labels could include;

road trips

introduction

engine rebuild

chasis/frame

body/electric

suspension/steering/tires

modernizing

pre P15 D24

post P15 D24

events

history

and others as needed

• Like 1

How about just a header subject line with those major items identifying the type of post or thread the member is posting.  This would accommodate those who don't want to get involved with newer or older car, get immersed in build threads etc. 

Some labels could include;

road trips

introduction

engine rebuild

chasis/frame

body/electric

suspension/steering/tires

modernizing

pre P15 D24

post P15 D24

events

history

and others as needed

That is the function of the tags feature. People just need to use it when they post. 

I guess a little "tweaking" can't hurt...After reading MacGyver's post I checked the link he provided.
I have to agree with him,I kinda like some of the topics on that forum...For instance "Oil Threads",
"Ride Reports" and "Complaint Dept" to mention a few.
That said,whatever is decided is fine with me...

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

Don,

I suppose that if I were to vote no and still wanted to voice an opinion on the third question I could voice it and not worry too greatly about skewing the poll, but it's just me, I guess.  Most everybody voted the way I would prefer on the other questions and besides, I appreciate that our opinions are being asked.  Occasionally I snap into my "anal" mode, that's all.

-Randy

I also like the forum how it is now. I agree that there are many similarities between most models, so I don't think that having separate forums for different year models would achieve much. More specific words used in posts allows for the great search engine (that I use on a regular basis) to easily locate relevant topics. I find that the tagged, bookmarked and answered abilities that we now now have are an added improvement to the already great forum site that we previously had. I do like the idea of having the trucks and cars separate though. I found that the second and third question contradicted themself somewhat - sure separate forums for trucks and cars but not specific to model years IMHO. Hats off to you GTK for trying to improve on an already great thing!

Desotodav

I tried to vote."   But.... Oops! "Something went wrong! So here's what I voted on...

1st question.. yes

2nd Question.. no

3rd Question.. no vote because of no vote on 2

4th question.. yes

Almost gave up on this poll!

Didn't vote, but will comment.  Lots of good ideas here already.  I guess I wouldn't want it to be too broken up, either, but maybe the mechanical stuff could be left together, and the body related posts separated into the major model runs.  But even then, there is a lot that is applicable for any one, even if the parts don't interchange.  I'd say overall, I like it as it is.  

I kind of like how the restorer's, rodders, and modifiers are all in one bucket..kind of reminds me of a stack of the old man's car magazines,(he had rod mags mixed with the stock ones) i don't know why people can't like both? there are other sites out there (that i wont name) were if you even write that your not going to use 1933 spark plugs on your car..you'll get shunned or people write a nasty post. I like going to this site because a lot of us just realize that we are old car nuts..we might like different nuts..but we are all nuts and are suffering  from the same disease.

it be nice to have a pre-war section..that's why on the old site i made the pre-war group..if we could have the option of doing that again ( or can we already?) that would be nice. thanks webmaster for asking and trying to get input before any changes a cure. benny:)  

Edited by moparbenny

The reason I voted "no" on the first question? I feel most of what the forum is about is vehicle building, To seperate the builds would likely "hide" a chance discovery for someone else.....If we can keep a complete build project within a single thread, it might keep things a little cleaner. 

48D

Regarding question number 3:

Think of it as if the forums were restructured as pre WWII, post WWII, Late 40's - early 50's, Mid to late 50's  (I understand you don't want them that way!) would you prefer car and trucks be combined?