m6 transmission/ Fluid Coupling Filling Mistery

mackster

I was going to check the fluid level on my transmission and to top it off in case that was causing my hard shifting....I can shift with ease when the car is off...when the car is on I can hardly go in gear... so I check the filler area and I notice a second filler spot. i believe its for the fluid coupling.  Isn't the fluid coupling sharing the fluids from the engine??  I am not sure now... can you please help me figure it out...

post-282-0-32706900-1361234070_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-31901100-1361234079_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-61294000-1361234088_thumb.jpg

on the first picture Its the top small access cover. on the second picture you can kind of read it says fill here....and on the 3 picture you can see when open what it appears to be the fluid coupling...why would it have a filler hole if it shares the same fluid as the engine???/

The Fluid Drive coupler is it's own seperate unit. If you crank your engine over the fill/level plug will appear through that hole. I recommend using a magnetic socket when you remove the plug so you won't drop it. The fluid level should be up to the edge of the plug when it lines up with that fill access hole. Then there's the question of what fluid goes in there. It seems that a VG32 universal tractor hydraulic fluid is a close match.

Merle

If it will not shift into gear with the clutch pedal pushed in and engine idling , the clutch is not disengaging because of adjustment or maybe a faulty clutch assembly.  Seized pilot bushings are a possibility too. There are two in the fluid drive coupling.

Bob

I got it to go into reverse once and then it stop going into reverse..i figure it was the shifting rods since i had cobble up one crazy idea with an old tractor choke cable. and now i cant get it to go into reverse even though the cable pulls it with ease ..i will have to look into it some more... :/

I thought it would always go into any gear OK with the engine shut off but once running you could not get it into any gear. Does it grind when trying to go into reverse while the engine is running? If so the clutch is not disengaging.