Oil filter??

Diesel

I've hung my oil flter canister on the garage wall. Only the oil that WANTS to go to the fllter does, all the oil is not forced through it. To me it's just another possilbe source of oil leak, it's messy to change, and it's always in the way. Today's engines are different but while the argument that every little bit helps is meritorious, it's not necessarily one to abide by. Just do like they say in voting, "change early, change often". JMHO

In my 38 Coupe, I have been using 10w-40w whatever is on sale, oil for near 20 years,

but lately I use Rotella 15w-40w, only because it is free.

I use Fram C3 oil filter, from Tractor Supply. 

I believe the Napa oil filter is a 1080, not sure.....

There are several different sizes canisters, so watch which gasket you need....

Are you sure what type filter you have?  Some of them used a replaceable canister type which was changed by removing the lines and dumping the whole thing and replacing it with another unit.  Sadly these cartridges are no longer generally available.  If you have the type where the top unscrews allowing access to a removable and replaceable filter element, then you are in luck, kind of.  Most of these filters were dealer or aftermarket installed, and came from various sources.  Some can be told by the color who the manufacturer was.  But if you have that type the two or three numbers above are a good start.  Wix also still makes one with a number very close to the NAPA numbers. 

As far as the filter's effectiveness goes, it called a by pass style as only about 30% of the flow was directed through the filter.  But eventually I guess it all passes through once in a while.  The deal here is that if the filter were to get clogged, the engine still gets oil.

I see both NAPA 1080 and 1010 filters have been mentioned. I believe the 1010 has a smaller diameter than the 1080 for both the filter and the gasket. These are for the canister with replaceable filters. Check your diameter or take the gasket down with you.

I recently saw one using a modern spin on filter with a adapter bolted to the firewall.  Couldn't get the make or model of this set up.  Anyone know anything more about this?

If it is plumbed via the factory bypass circuit, it won't work real well.  Bypass oil filters are set up for low flow, high filtration, whereas modern filters are set up for full flow with decent filtration.  The modern filters should never restrict flow, because it would starve the engine.  With a bypass filter, most of the oil is going straight to the engine and only a little amount is going through the filter, so the filter could be completely clogged without hurting the motor.

There are numerous threads about switching to a full-flow filtration system, which is a very good idea.

Marty

It might be interesting to buy two of those throwaways. Put one in with a fresh oil change, then run the truck for an hour or so, remove the filter and cut it in half. Then put in the 2nd filter and run it till the next oil change. Then disect it and compare.

Looks like these inline filters are meant fto be used with  a/t fluid.  How would they work with motor oil?  Anyone using one of these filters?  I know the canister type filters do an excellent job but I'm trying to find an alternative that isn't as messy to deal with. 

For instance, I once owned a '60 Rambler American wagon with a flat 6 that came stock with a spin on filter.  It was a bypass system but the spin on made it a snap to service........

• 1 month later...

Looks like these inline filters are meant fto be used with  a/t fluid.  How would they work with motor oil?  Anyone using one of these filters?  I know the canister type filters do an excellent job but I'm trying to find an alternative that isn't as messy to deal with. 

For instance, I once owned a '60 Rambler American wagon with a flat 6 that came stock with a spin on filter.  It was a bypass system but the spin on made it a snap to service........

You can buy a spin on filter/adapter on ebay that would make it less of mess to change filters.

A truck I had years ago, had one of these on the trans line, that made it easy to change the trans fluid also..

post-1465-0-83236600-1362667776_thumb.jpg

This might or might not be what you are looking for.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/engines-components/part-type/oil-filter-adapters/filter-adapter-style/spin-on-bypass-adapter

Or you could go with a Oberg cleanable oil filter

http://store.obergfilters.com/oil.html

Oberg2.jpg

Oberg4.jpg

Oberg5.jpg

If you have one of this type add on filter, and plan to continue using it, you might want to check the lines that connect it

to the engine.  I found out recently that both my lines were stopped up and therefore the filter wasn't doing even it's

limited duty. 

post-22-0-89199800-1362671452_thumb.jpg

I have a Beehive Filter on the Plymouth, considering that it had no filter when I bought it I think the Beehive is an improvement, also that finned magnafine Filter is for the Auto trans line, I have the same one on my Dodge lines before the cooler....andyd

post-612-0-04682200-1362689496_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have 1947 Plymouth special deluxe 218 engine. I was browsing and noticed your engine pic. I have the oil filled carb filter but I may want to convert to the air filter like your pic. Where did you get that and what was the process to do this. Thanks in advance for your reply

I have 1947 Plymouth special deluxe 218 engine. I was browsing and noticed your engine pic. I have the oil filled carb filter but I may want to convert to the air filter like your pic. Where did you get that and what was the process to do this. Thanks in advance for your reply

Welcome to the site.

Andy is probably sleeping now "down under", but until he answers you could check out this thread on the truck side. Also some links in that thread to others.

http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/topic/29276-oil-bath-to-paper-conversion/?hl=+air%20+filter%20+conversion

Or this:  

http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/topic/24437-oil-bath-filter-conversion-udate/?hl=%2Bair+%2Bfilter+%2Bconversion

Conversion to paper air filter can be done on a stock filter, and not be seen. Cut around where indicated in the photo, pull out the insides, select a filter, put the top back on.

EDIT:  nother one just in case it wasn't linked in the other threads.

http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/topic/28065-air-cleaner-how-to-convert-from-oil-bath-to-paper/?hl=%2Bpaper+%2Bfilter#entry280455

And a quick shot to the late "Norms coupe" site for his conversion:

http://www.indfloorcoating-repair.com/1948plymouthenginerestoration.html

post-80-0-03177000-1371389171_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

On my 47 it has an insert oil filter. Easily picked up at your local parts store. My 48 has this massive unit (I don't have the number - it's in the garage) I bought the last 2 from the parts store. They were $50 @. I don't really change them every time I change the oil.

My question is how often should you change the oil? Sometimes I won't drive 3,000 miles in a year. I am torn between changing it anyway or letting it go.