Any of you Australian folks get "sea foamed"???

BobT-47P15

Someone say seafoam......

We ran into that condition a couple years ago on the outer banks of NC, When a Tropical storm was off shore.  Wind was at about 40 to 50 mph, and the stuff was blowing over the Dunes and across the road like drifting snow, cept it was brown.  The waves were about 7/8 feet high on the ocean side of the barrier island.

Most of us on the east coast have been copping a pounding from the latest storm. There is no shortage of stupidity when it comes to messing around in the sea foam... http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/car-bursts-wave-sea-foam-nearly-hits-police-210152919.html . Many people within a few hundred kilometre radius from Brisbane are experiencing the heartache of losing it all again - as they did in the December 2010/January 2011 flood crisis.

AndyD will be in the thick of it today. The flood waters were about to peak in his hometown at around lunchtime today. Earlier news reports showed that flood waters were getting very close to breaking over the levy wall. Updated news reports have recently shown that the levy wall was breached at Fry Street South Grafton. I know that Andy's home will be ok as it is situated on a rise some distance from the Clarence River, but his shop will more than likely be invaded by flood waters as it is in a low-lying area very close to the river. I hope all is well with you AndyD. Our thoughts are with you.

Desotodav

Dav........thanks for the thoughts, but it only got to 8.05metres against an 8.10metre levee wall........thats 5mm clearance..........lol..........plenty...lol.....seriously tho its a new Clarence River record since floods were recorded from 1839.............today was a nice blue sky and gentle winds...........not a drop of rain, but as you mention Brisbane and various areas of the NSW north coast have been inundated. Where my shop Big River Book Exchange and Scale Automobilia is located, 44 Skinner St is, as Dav mentions only 200yards from the levee wall but even if it overtopped it would fill in a heap of lowlying areas around the local streets etc before it got to the shop...........however the barbers across the road from the shop has a couple of excellent pics showing flood rescue boats in the 1950's rowing past my shops front door and one especially nice pic of an 2-300 ton ocean going steamer tied up to the front fence of a house around the corner.....100yrs from the river edge.........lol............all before the levee wall was constructed in the 1970' & 80's tho' the final bit wasn't done till after the 1996 flood...........things can take a little time to get done around here.......I think the local paper The Grafton Daily Examiner will probably have a few pics.........btw........does anyone have any copies of "How To Build An Ark In 5 Easy Lessons"...........I sold out first thing this morning.............lol...........regards, andyd      

Glad to hear that you're alright Andy. My wifey chatted with her aunty down that way about half hour ago and they are pretty wet up on the hill there just north of you. She watched some fool drive his car into flood waters while she was on the phone, and then the car occupants scampered onto the roof of the car awaiting rescue. She reports that water is lapping at the foundations of Blue Goose pub just down the road, but otherwise all is well. They have probably around 80 of their 90 acres under water at present. I imagine that the old family home at Post Office Lane in Ulmarra has water lapping at the roof of the second storey by now!

We have many areas up this way totally devastated by flood water (mainly around Bundaberg, Maryborough and Rockhampton). Brisbane and Ipswich appear to have been spared somewhat with flood waters reaching almost a metre below their expected high. Waters are still rising in Logan and are due to peak at around 10pm tonight. The large level of silt in the water has caused dramas with the Brisbane water purifying plant and the council now plan on trucking water into some suburbs on the southside of Brisbane. I came close to losing my 3 trucks in the shed when a large Gum tree fell (in just the right direction thankfully) as a result of the ridiculously strong winds. The big cleanup has begun down the Gold Coast as many buildings were damaged or left roofless. There are still some 80,000 houses from Gympie to the Gold Coast presently without power. It appears that my family has escaped relatively unscathed with our numerous properties, although I am not so sure about my sister's properties in Bundaberg. I have convinced my parents to delay their journey home from Kiama by a couple of days. The weather front is reported to have moved out to sea now, so hopefully all others are spared the damage.

Ark building for dummies - seems they wrote that book just for you mate!

Stay dry my friend!

Dav (aka Desotodav)

post-3915-0-00201000-1359452064_thumb.jpg

Bob, Tornados are something I hope never to experience and I have only the strongest admiration for you guys over there and what you go thru every year or so.........we might get some strong winds sometimes but nothing approaching that sort of stuff, tho' up nth in Queensland they get the Oz versions called cyclones.........I'm about 500kms away from any of that sort of stuff..........anyway appreciate your concern and I pass on my best wishes for your tornado watch..........regards, andyd