Tips on adjusting vent windows

Joe Flanagan

This weekend I installed the front vent windows on my Plymouth. I've got a few issues when all is said and done. The most serious thing is that there is no way either of them will lock with the little handle. When the windows are closed, the handle misses the the small chrome lobe at the bottom of the window. The handles are too high in both cases and they also come in too far. I don't have the weather strip on the division bar that the vent window closes against, so that may change things, but as of now, it looks like they're pretty far off. I have the nut that adjusts the tension as tight as I'm comfortable with. I know that would bring the window down, but I feel like they're borderline too tight as it is.

The other issue is that the rubber doesn't seal all the way around the window. I can see small areas of light in some places. I'm wondering if it's possible to use rubber cement or silicone to glue some strips of rubber on to the existing weatherstripping to improve the seal. 

I do see in my manual that you can adjust the vent windows to move left and right and also to tilt in and out but I think that refers to the entire assembly. My problem is how the window itself fits in the opening. 

I got the rubber from Roberts. I know some people have had bad experiences with their rubber and some have had good. I decided to take my chances. I hope I wasn't wrong. 

Edited by Joe Flanagan

I have not. i cut them on mine and did it wrong! :o so im gonna re-do as soon as I find another set of originals...since I am gonna chop them i was thinking of going with an easier to find parts model that might just fit easier than the originals...but I'm not sure yet. I'm still thinking about my options...

Joe,

Is the rest of the door glass with insulators in yet??

If not, there is many adjustments to door glass that affect the vent window adjustments.

I had the vent window mounts in the WRONG mounting holes(screw holes) until i put ALL parts together and made adjustments then i was able to see the problem after much looking. Duh!

Was not clear until the whole picture was seen.

Just a thought, sure you done a lot of head scratching before posting.

Best to ya,

Doug

Doug, yes, the roll-up windows are in. I think I either have not gotten the rubber all the way down into its channel or they're just lousy reproductions. I need about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch to make the lock catch. I might be able to bring them down that far by tinkering with them. The places where the rubber doesn't quite seal around the window (where you can see daylight) is another matter.

Joe,

reread my post, did not mean to imply you did not do your homework, just what I did back a year ago when i did my front vents windows. Sorry!

perhaps you got Rear vent rubber seal from Roberts that are shaped differant??

Best to ya,

Doug

Someone else brought up the possibility that I might have the wrong parts. I'll call Roberts today. But they are so close to fitting that I have a hard time believing they're wrong. I'm going to try to tighten down the tension nut as much as possible and see if that brings the window to where it's supposed to be, then back the nut off and hope it stays there. 

Joe,

All I can say is that you are truly dedicated if you are working on your car in the midst of this nasty weather we have been having. I have a garage I can work in but I don't even like bring out there when it is this cold. I know you have to work on your car outside. More power to you.

Jim Yergin

Hey Joe, When I put my rubber in my coupe I had to push the vent rubber forward into the channel. I had to stuff the rubber with a small screw driver until I had it in the channel tight. My vent windows did not fit at first. I know they are right because they came out of the thing, I used a het gun to make it soft(I too was working on it outside and in the cold) At the bottom of the vent window frame there is some indintations that the rubber has to fit into that maybe why it's to high.

Joe, Does your set up have the vent closing up against the window glass like the P15's or is there a slider channel  at the front of the roll up glass?  In other words when the vent is open and the roll up is rolled down is there a clear opening or is there a framing piece which the rear of the vent fits against?

Greg, it's the latter. I have a division bar channel. That's what the vent window closes against.

But I was just out there messing around with it and I'm pretty sure I have it figured out. Remember this picture?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/bohon/Ventwindowwasher007_zps1b400990.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see that there are two of the pointed washers above the spring. If you take one of them out, you can get the window to come downward a full sixteenth of an inch (the exact thickness of one of those washers). That's more than enough for my windows to lock. That will also solve most of the gaps between the rubber and the window. I just experimented with an extra window to make sure this is right and it is. We have freezing rain coming down here right now, so I can't do much, but I think I've got it figured out.

Edited by Joe Flanagan

As it turned out, what I needed to do was tighten the tension nut. I didn't need to remove any washers. Tightening brought the window down to where it needed to be. They are very stiff and kind of hard to move, but the rubber may compress and then I might be able to back off on the nut a bit. That one little fix took care of most of the sealing problems.