Electric wiper switch

K_Jordan

i was looking for info in this exact topic. So far i have figure out that the switch will only feed voltage to the unit. so you will need a 6 volt reducer if you plan to run the original wiper motor. I believe that the motor is two speed (unlike the new motors that are fully speed adjustable) I have also heard that this type of motors, are very interchangeable through out the years...so i hope to find a 12 volt motor so I can switch it up and use any regular switch and not have to worry about the voltage reducer.

that's what I know now, if someone else knows anything more let us know! :D 

This is the one I'm using in my car.  It fits the original hole and if you wanted to change the knob it can be removed easily. 

They make one for single and dual motors.  This type came with my newport kit.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Windshield-Wiper-Switch-for-Single-Motor,2371.html

I don't know for absolute sure...but I think the voltage through the switch is irrelevant.  The switch is just that, a switch.  And the power coming into it...be it 6V or 12V makes no difference to the switch.  Hopefully someone with more knowledge then myself will chime in.

I agree with you...thats 100% true. if he is gonna run the 6v motor with his 12v system He just needs a voltage reducer.. 

Edited by mackster

Thanks Steveplym for the link. I just ordered it and a voltage reducer. I recently pick the wiper motor up from a scrap yard. The guy working there insisted on removing the switch by turning the switch with pliers instead if trying to remove the base. Needless to say the switch was broken. Aleast the wipers work though. Lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I might be missing something here , but I don't think that your switch makes a difference as to where your wiper motor parks the wiper blade . The photo of the wiper switch shown has two terminals and it just completes the circut , thats all . Can you reposition the wiper arm so that when the switch is off , the blade is parked ? Then it may have the wrong arc though . It is kind of hokey , but can you turn the switch off when the blade is at a certain position and it will then be stopped in the park position ?  edit ;  I think the parking feature of your wipers is built into the mechanism of the wiper motor , that would be a very tricky operation to change . The other option would be to rotate the motor , but yours probably doesn't rotate .  

Edited by Jerry Roberts