Fuel pump life span

pflaming

On 4/11/2016 at 12:00 PM, Jeff Balazs said:

John;

Just reading about all the problems various people have had with this was enough to get me to ditch this item. I think this item along with bad wiring inside the distributor and / or bad points etc.....are the two most common problems I have seen people have. For what it is worth I prefer the electric fuel pump.......and don't mind at all that it is not bone stock. But then I expect a 60 year old vehicle in regular use to show some sign of evolutionary change.

Jeff

Update +6 years...

Fuel pump with custom pin still holding strong. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 10:44 AM, Jeff Balazs said:

Update 6 years on and in daily use. Electric fuel pump is still working fine.........?

Jeff

The race is on then I guess. First guy's pump to fail buys the other guy a new pump of the opposite type. ??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had a new mechanical and an electric fuel pump in succession set in my freshly rebuilt engine in my 47 sedan. Cruising the coast, heard a terrible metal crunch and the car died. Turned on the electric fuel pump and got myself home. This is what I found in the pan. I only run the electric fuel pump in this car now 

IMG_20200419_145510_copy_3024x2268_1.jpg

IMG_20200419_144006_copy_2268x3024_1.jpg

15 hours ago, John-T-53 said:

The race is on then I guess. First guy's pump to fail buys the other guy a new pump of the opposite type. ??

Uh huh. At least if mine goes bad it cant dump fuel to directly into the crankcase................seems to me that "someone" on this forum had that happen. Wish I could remember who that was?

Jeff

On 4/29/2022 at 10:40 AM, Jeff Balazs said:

Uh huh. At least if mine goes bad it cant dump fuel to directly into the crankcase................seems to me that "someone" on this forum had that happen. Wish I could remember who that was?

Jeff

My selective memory fails me again. When I think of his name, he'll be called out. ?

• Haha 1

On 4/28/2022 at 8:14 PM, tom'sB2B said:

I had a new mechanical and an electric fuel pump in succession set in my freshly rebuilt engine in my 47 sedan. Cruising the coast, heard a terrible metal crunch and the car died. Turned on the electric fuel pump and got myself home. This is what I found in the pan. I only run the electric fuel pump in this car now 

IMG_20200419_145510_copy_3024x2268_1.jpg

IMG_20200419_144006_copy_2268x3024_1.jpg

Ooooof! Never seen that, especially with a new pump!

14 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Well I suppose having your memory fail is better than having your fuel pump fail and dump fuel into the crankcase......again. ?

it only happened to me once....and it was the diaphram that failed (new rebuilt pump)...

I had the fulcrum pin "walk out" on me once. Shot the pump spring into the pan. Left me stranded. It was a China-made fairly new pump. Make sure the pin in staked on both sides. I now run an electric pump in addition to the mechanical pump on both my old Mopars.

Pete

Edited by Pete

I will have to switch over to an electric pump when I get around to installing the headers. 

Need to find a source for a 6 volt pump. I think Langdon's used to offer those. 

John;

I am running the large Carter rotary type 6V along with a Holley regulator. A very important item is a good filter ahead of the pump. Dirt getting into these pumps is the leading cause of failure.

My fuel delivery system has been completely trouble free for more than 7 years and at least 35,000 miles. Try it you will like it

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Many 6 volt electric fuel pumps for sale at Summit Racing.

A quick web search came up with this.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=6 volt fuel pump

Included a Carter I believe.

DJ

• Thanks 1