Fuel pump life span

pflaming

The truck ran nice for a mile then wouldn't gather power and finally stopped. I removed the fuel pump took it to the shop and it pumped fuel but the engine would not start when reassembled. I then poured some gas in the carb and bingo it ran. This pump is about five years old and does not have five house of time on it. What is an expected life span of a fuel pump? Would an electric pump placed before the mechanical pump keep one on the road?

Don't know what the typical life span of a mechanical pump is. The one on my '33 has about 15 years and 30K miles on it.

I had to replace the mechanical fuel pump on the '82 Plymouth I once owned at about 150K miles. Don't think we ever replaced the mechanical pump on the '63 Dodge truck, '63 Plymouth wagon or '68 Dodge truck that we had over the years.

My feeling is that if it is an older pump (good core) that has been properly rebuilt with a kit that has materials compatible with modern fuel it should go a long, long time.

My feeling is that if it is an older pump (good core) that has been properly rebuilt with a kit that has materials compatible with modern fuel it should go a long, long time.

I agree. Get a kit from antique auto cellar and rebuild it. Make sure the pin won't come out and you should be good. Mine lasted about 8 years and 17K miles before the pin walked its way out. Put it back together and its still going strong.

Yup-staking the pin and rebuilding it with materials compatible with today's gas is key to a long life. If you buy a rebuilt vs doing it yourself-make sure that pivot pin is properly staked.  I bought one from NAPA for my '36 that came apart shortly after installing it.   Mike

Yup-staking the pin and rebuilding it with materials compatible with today's gas is key to a long life. If you buy a rebuilt vs doing it yourself-make sure that pivot pin is properly staked.  I bought one from NAPA for my '36 that came apart shortly after installing it.   Mike

Interesting...I just replaced a 3 year old NAPA pump with about 7k miles on it because of pin problems too. The pin wasn't coming out yet, however was loose and leaking a lot of oil out the end. The NAPA pumps are made by carter, and this replacement looks a little better in construction.

You shouldn't expect much from a pump made in china. :mad:

x-ing my finger I never have a pin problem.  I rebuilt the orignal pump from FEF and it's been in there as long as I know so.....

Ha I did the same thing with the pump that came on my p15. Only got about 17k miles out of it. Hope you either got the longer pin with the C clips or staked the heck out of it.

Maybe my pump problem then is just the pin. How does the pump act if the pin has moved? Mine will pump fuel just not enough to run the engine.

If the pin fails the pump arm falls out and the pump won't pump at all. I suspect you have dirt in it or a failing diaphram.

If you put an electric fuel pump on the car or truck it needs to be a pusher style. They are not setup to pull gas only push the gas to the carb.  So mount the electric pump as close to the fuel tank as possible. Even if the mechnaical pumps goes bad the electric will still pump gas to the carb.

First blow some compressed air back down the fuel line and have someone put their ear to the filler neck to the gas tank you should hear bubbling sound as the air is comeing back into the tank.  If no sound then you have a clogged gas line.  Also put a filter onthe gas line before the electric pump and also another one just before the carb to catach any crap that might be inthe line.  Also becareful when using the plastic fuel filters. One gentleman had his melt and then the fuel leaked ontot he hot manifold and the car caught fire.  Use the metal kind or the type that has an internal filter and a glass bowel.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I agree. Get a kit from antique auto cellar and rebuild it. Make sure the pin won't come out and you should be good. Mine lasted about 8 years and 17K miles before the pin walked its way out. Put it back together and its still going strong.

Antique Auto Cellar are the experts for fuel pumps, highly recommended.!

some pumps also have a fine brass screen in the lower portion of the pump.  If this becomes clogged it won't pump sufficient fuel for much over idle speed.  You need to remove the center bolt and check.  Also the bolt is hollow and will sometimes get clogged with debris.

Edited by greg g

Just a late thought, if you get an AIR leak in the line between the gas supply and the fuel pump, the fuel pump may be pumping AIR to the carb.

This could happen at any high spots in the fuel line where there is a joint or union. Test this idea by bringing a fuel container close to the pump and connecting with a short length of tubing.

This afternoon I put a 2 gal gas can about 2 feet from the pump and used a clear plastic tube to connect. Ran the starter and the pump did not even fill the tube. So I went to four different parts houses and NONE had fuel pump, NAPA's warehouse had four on backorder. SO . . . electric pump. NO ONE had a six volt electric fuel pump. I have the pump in the shop, will disassemble it tomorrow and on monday order a couple of kits.

I took the bottom off the pump but can't figure out how to release the 'pump' from the arm. You Tube here I come.

The NAPA box said "Made in USA" for both pumps.

I wish the water pump I just bought 2 weeks ago from NAPA was made in USA. It said "Made in China". As dod the one I also just bought from RockAuto. :mad:

I have never had a pin fall out of any of my OE  fuel pumps on my flatheads. But then i have not had to replace a fuel pump in manymany years with a new one like a lot of people have here on the forum. I hope the water pumps last

new water pumps....

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I wish the water pump I just bought 2 weeks ago from NAPA was made in USA. It said "Made in China". As dod the one I also just bought from RockAuto. :mad:

I have never had a pin fall out of any of my OE  fuel pumps on my flatheads. But then i have not had to replace a fuel pump in manymany years with a new one like a lot of people have here on the forum. I hope the water pumps last

new water pumps....

Bob

I'm like you, my fuel pumps last a loong time! I just don't get why so many pump issues. 

3 ways to check a fuel pump.  On the outlet side, install a tee, hook up a pressure guage. Being a mechanic, I have 2 fuel pressure testers. It should have about 5 Ibs pressure. It should also have volume, with engine running, it should pump at least a pint of fuel in 30 seconds.  Third way, stick a vacuum guage on inlet side, check for suction. 

I wonder if there is a direct relationship between pump failure and irregular driving? Maybe the pumps need to be used. At this point, I'm thinking of getting an electric one, but can't find one in town. Frustrating, I wanted to get to the DMV and get it legal. Can't 'shake down' a vehical in the garage and I want to make the BBQ in April. Don't want AAA to haul it to Clements. Maybe I should have joined AA instead of AAA?

55 Dodge, mine wouldn't fill a 1/4" clear plastic fuel line. Was that a valid test?

Edited by pflaming

Hi Paul;

Sorry you are having this problem. If you are going to rebuild the fuel pump I suggest you wait until the kit arrives to disassemble it. Or at least take photos of the check valves inside prior to removing them. It would be easy to put them in the wrong way if the pump has been apart for a while.

When you were replacing the brake lines did you replace the fuel line up to the pump as well? Did you get the tank cleaned and lined? Most old fuel tanks get quite a collection of crud in them over time. When it comes to fuel systems there is no such thing as too clean.

I have been toying with the idea of adding a spin on type fuel/water seperator filter to my truck. Our fuel supply isn't always as clean as you would think. This is probably overkill........but I like to get as close to "bulletproof" as I can while I have things apart.

Jeff

Paul, I'd say that enuff of a test, the pump needs a rebuild.  Jeff also brought up some good points, about the tank and lines. When u take that pump apart, u may find alot of rust, dirt, crude, etc.  If you dont get rid of that junk in the system, you'll end up rebuilding that pump often!