questions for the modified crowd

scotty t

here's a few questions for the modified guys. maybe we can all join in here and post ideas and questions. 

i've got a 48 p-15 business coupe.

any good ideas for a modern radio install, as hidden as possible?

under floor modern master cyl, for brake and clutch? non power assist in my case.

electric wipers, how about an electric vacuum pump for the stock wiper motor?

any thoughts, suggestions? PICTURES?

any other questions to add?

Hope it aint considered swearing to make reference to the HAMB on here, if so apologies, however, Ryan did write a nice little piece on wiring up a *insert generic mp3 playing device*.  You can keep the stock radio that way but have the *insert generic mp3 playing device* hidden wherever you like.

diagram.jpg

Hopefully I dont draw any heat for that but I think its a pretty sensible approach

• Like 1

For the wipers I bought a kit from Newport Engineering.  It was about $220, but works great with 12v negative.

If you want to use the stock vacuum motor, getting a vacuum canister will help you a bunch.  I bought a small one that was used for cruise control at an auto parts store, don't think it was more than $15-$20.

I put a regular am/fm casette player in the glovebox.  Just bolted it to the top of the box.  Left room underneath for insurance card, license, etc.  Bolted in a big speaker into the original cut out in the center of the dash.  All of it is hidden with the glove box door closed and works good. 

Edited by steveplym

I used the Newport wiper kit also. Good fit. I forget the name of the distributor, but, I actually bought mine on-line for $15-$20 less than Newport direct was...last year.

Probably on your own to fab up something on the brake/clutch. I bought an under floor pedal, booster, and m/c combo off eBay really cheap, but had to modify the floor just a bit, but, I'm running an automatic, so clutch is nixed.

I like the MP3 idea above. I've been trying to figure out what to do on mine. I put a heat/air/def kit on it, and it already takes up half my glove box space. Going to have to make a new glove box.

there are a few vendors for brake munting platforms to be fitted to the frame to support dual reservor..couple different takes on wipers..your call there..6 to 12 volt is a big step up for modern accessories...lot of European cars have radio boxes that mount to the lwoer dash for a aftermarket install that is still rather clean and still no incorporate a console...basically you are only limited to your imagination or you can go out and view some cars at a cruise or car corral and get ideas from there...

locate the brake parts by searching online for disc brake kits..they usually list the other stuff like masters...residuals etc in their kit blurb

Hope it aint considered swearing to make reference to the HAMB on here, if so apologies, however, Ryan did write a nice little piece on wiring up a *insert generic mp3 playing device*.  You can keep the stock radio that way but have the *insert generic mp3 playing device* hidden wherever you like.

diagram.jpg

Hopefully I dont draw any heat for that but I think its a pretty sensible approach

I second the MP3 player approach. You can hid it from sight and you don't need to haul around a bunch of CD's. My MP3 player holds about 2000 Doo Wop songs and also has an FM radio. I use a cheap motorcycle amp I purchased off e-bay and made some kick panel speakers. Sure a lot cheaper than a stereo radio and CD player.

:eek:  :D

I second the MP3 player approach. You can hid it from sight and you don't need to haul around a bunch of CD's. My MP3 player holds about 2000 Doo Wop songs and also has an FM radio. I use a cheap motorcycle amp I purchased off e-bay and made some kick panel speakers. Sure a lot cheaper than a stereo radio and CD player.

:eek:  :D

how good is the FM reception? and what brand is the mp3 player?

i'm thinking about making a bracket that replaces the m/c. as long as it located the pedals in the same spot and bolted to frame in the same spot, it could be made to bolt up any type of m/c you choose. fortunately i have access to a couple machine shops and a couple of fab shops! there might be a small market for p15-d24 specific m/c mounts.

If you haven't yet read through Bill's project thread, get busy...  http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/index.php?/topic/22985-im-back/page-4

On page 4 you can see his brake setup.

One of the best rod projects on the web IMHO.

Do the cars not have as much room around the m/c as the trucks? Because on the trucks you can just redrill the mount and run a Cherokee, Ranger or similar m/c in the stock spot. Getting ready to swap in the m/c from my 92 Ranger parts donor (same as the Bronco 2 unit mentioned in one of the various brake threads). Kind of hard to fill but a barbed fitting in the m/c lid and the reservoir off a Ranger/Toyota clutch master makes an easy remote fill point... and if you swap in the Ranger rear axle you can add the mechanical rear ABS. Run the Ranger front discs if you can, they'll fit 14" alloys so your stock rims will clear them, tested the 92 brake/hub combo with a 49 truck 16" rim, lots of room.

Check with ECI, Engineered Components, Inc. They have the brake set up you are looking for plus discs if wanted. It works well altough a little tight to run brake lines.

You might want to read this thread.

http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/index.php?/topic/20422-krap/?hl=krap

Dang, I didn't know it was so much of a project. I just ordered it then installed it. But I didn't have to ask someone the difference between the big and little reservoirs either

Glad you did not have to ask. I must ask you what you did about the side to side pedal slop and the pedal stops at the top of the travel? Also did you have issues with bending the lines or are you using the ECI front disk setup with the MC ports on the transmission side?

Glad you did not have to ask. I must ask you what you did about the side to side pedal slop and the pedal stops at the top of the travel? Also did you have issues with bending the lines or are you using the ECI front disk setup with the MC ports on the transmission side?

Don,

I lost track of your thread on the brake pedal issues you had.  Though I am positive you will post a link :)  What ever happened with that?