M6 transmission. Im going in! help!!

mackster

Ok. Im ready to wire my 53 Desoto's Tip Toe Transmission. I will need all the help I can get. this is happening tomorrow. I got some parts from George Ashe and I have collected other little parts. I made a new wiring kit from left over wire from the 12 conversion. It should go smooth. However....I have a few questions....

Im running on 12V negative ground. I need to use 6 volts to power up the transmission wiring and this is positive ground. I think it should be easy. (I hope!) I will get 12 volts from the coil and use a voltage reducer to step it down to 6 volts. then wire it all in and for the ground I will connect it to a screw on the Air Cleaner bracket (which is where all the connections mount to.

Check out this wiring and tell me if you think It should work out...

Also it shows two connections on the carburetor and i can only see one in mine. Am I missing something on my carburetor  I will post pictures of it tomorrow. ....

On a side note. its really easy for me to shift in all gears when the car is off...when the car is on. I cant shift at all...I have to force it to shift in gear...I will be changing the oil tomorrow. I hope this helps.

I have honestly been holding this part of the build back since I have been lost for so long on this transmission that I have had ideas of removing it and changing for something stupid easy! :D

post-282-0-07635000-1358656995_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-47719600-1358657002_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-74781700-1358657048_thumb.jpg

Hey Mackster, hopefully Rob aka Dodgeb4ya will chime in, and advise you. I have known a few to convert to 12 volts, not sure if they used voltage reducers or not. Would the solenoid and governor survive on 12 volts neg grnd, quite possibly....

As long as you follow the M-6 wiring schematic shown on the left side you will be good to go. The right side drawing is for the over drive transmission. You need to reduce to 6 volts right after the 12V + coil feed and feed that 6 volts into the circuit breaker like you were going to do.. Carefully wire the trans up exactly as in your M-6 schematic. Polarity should not be a factor. The carb should have a wire screw connection terminal on the side of the carb for kick down operation. Did you use a test light or ohm meter to be sure the carb downshift plunger does ground out when the plunger is depressed with the throttle all the way? Make sure it does work. The anti-stall control up on top of the carb should have 2 male bullit terminals that the 2 yellow wires  plug into as shown on the schematic. On a few M-6 cars there was only 1 single bullit terminal with the 2 yellow wires connected to the single bullit

Also remember this. If you were to drive the car with no transmission wiring hooked up it will still upshift, but extremely quickly the second you let off the gas and stay in high range. It  WILL NOT shift back down to low range until you come to a complete dead stop and hold the clutch in and wait a couple seconds- till the oil pressure drops to zero. Then you will feel and hear it downshift.

The wiring circuit controls automatic speed controlled downshifts. You can also force a downshift by a gas peddle forced downshift.

You really should have the shop manual to fully understand the M-6 operation and for trouble shooting too.

Good luck!

I have the manual. I m going thru it right now as we speak. :) I have come to realize i have not seen the "The anti-stall control up on top of the carb"  I will look for it tomorrow on the carburetor. i have the air cleaner on it and i dont remember seeing it..but its been a while since i looked at the carb. thank you guys for the help. I will get on it tomorrow. I hope i make it alive! :D so my idea to ground the 6 volts to a metal screw will owrk out great I hope. or if not  I will connect it to the negative leg of the 12v  coil...and the reducer to the 12v + side to the coil...i think I got this! 

I'm not sure about the 6 volts to ground plan? No 6 volt suppy wires should be grounded. Just reduce the 12V to 6 and wire it up as the schematic shows. It will be a 6V negative ground system. I don't think it will be an issue for the solenoid, anti-stll or the resistor. But there might be an issue during ignition interuption during a downshift as the ignition points are electrically shorted to ground for a split second to relieve engine torque on the input shaft and blocker ring. The blue wire from the coil through the resistor to the interuptor switch on the trans, then on to the governer points that are the grounding point. You will have 6Volts mixing with 12 volts!

I don't have an answer. All things I do are factory stock and I'm not sure about this part!

Anyone?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Im concerned about this. I will see how that plays along...however another small problem i have encountered: I dont have the anti stall on top of the carburetor. I have two screws as it shows on the picture but no actual unit. :( I will have to find one.

Im also wondering if I can do the wiring and just use a 30 amp breaker 12dc instead of the 6 v unit that is original...... I thik the resistor should hold just fine as this will have less ohms...

post-282-0-18827100-1358709597_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-69824800-1358709610_thumb.jpg

Edited by mackster

Your stock 30 amp breaker will do just fine as it doesn't care about six or twelve volts. The anti-stall is sensitive to voltage so six volts only.

A picture...I hope of the 2 wire Anti-Stall unit you need.

m62wireantstall.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

i dont have an Anti-stall switch at all. :( i will have to find one and hope it gets here soon! here is my wiring. not color original but all wires are there per the M6 wiring schematic. :) most of the work is done. now i have to find (1) the Anti Stall switch and (2) the 10W transmission fluid.

post-282-0-52691500-1358728754_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-14850000-1358728768_thumb.jpg

BTW: i am just saying this so in case someone in the future needs this info. I ran the car with a 6 volt coil and 12 volt wiring and it ran fine..so I think the points and the coil should be fine with this set up..if Im wrong I have back up already! I will post progress as soon as I get an Anti-stall switch. which reminds me! does anyone have an anti stall switch for sale???

Speaking of PM's, How do you do them?  I've been looking and I can't find mine.

Never mind, I just found it....  upper right, there's an envelope.

Edited by moose

are you running a ballast resistor between yout ign switch and the coil?  If not you need on for the health of the coil and points.

Yes I am! :)

I've got a few on spare carbs, PM me your address and I'll try to get a good one sent out tomorrow.

Thank you soo much MOOSE! I need this like a fat kid needs CAKE! I need to get this car on the road!!!