Brakes locking up, have checked most the "check first" things

d.dunavan

And now back to the saga that is “All my brakes”. Finally had the time to take a crack at the rear drums. Drivers side came off without so much as a whimper the passenger side had enough to say for both. Put both sides back together drove around and listened for the pop. Both came of fairly easy then (Thank you Bill! Thought it sounded funny but worked perfect!) I did end up striping one of the lug holes. It is only the first few threads so could I tap it and still make it work? If not I have another rear axle in the shed so no worries. About this time the wife came out and decided it was time to clean the garage so only had a short time to look everything over. I will attach some pics I took. Passenger side has a good size chunk missing out of the middle of the shoe, so new shoe or get them refaced. Does Tennessee Clutch & Supply do shoes as well?  So next question I guess, with everything taken apart already should I just do all shoes and cylinders? Also I would like some opinions about condition of the hub, can anyone see something that isn’t right.

Thanks,

D. 

post-5568-0-82655400-1365356902_thumb.jpg

post-5568-0-92363800-1365356917_thumb.jpg

post-5568-0-53861500-1365356939_thumb.jpg

post-5568-0-20180100-1365356956_thumb.jpg

post-5568-0-47701500-1365356969_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was just outside looking at things and a thought occurred to me, with everything adjusted correctly what would it hurt to let that little bit wear in? I guess there is the chance that the chip will cause more to chip off but if I put everything right then I would think that would be a small chance. Am I thinking right on this or am I just dreaming?

D.

Yea, I noticed the backing plate was bent so I am guessing that at one time someone used a puller that clamped on the outside of the drum. So things just didn't look right to me and I went ahead and took the passenger side the rest of the way apart. Found out that the anchor bolts were not put together correctly. With what came off I can make one that is completely correct. The rear shoe had the felt washer but no horseshoe clip, front had the clip but the washer was rubber. Is that a modern replacement or can you still get the felt washer? Then decided why not take the backing plate off and clean it up and try to fix it. Noticed that the bearing looks like it has no grease on it, see pic. I have a high temp grease with molly in it is that ok to use on that bearing or should it be the yellowish grease? The brake cylinder is in pretty rough shape because the rubber boots on the outside had a bunch of crap under them so they didn't seal well and junk got in. I will take a look after I clean it up and see if the bore is good or not. That should cover everything for today. 

Thanks,

D.

post-5568-0-05103000-1365380149_thumb.jpg

post-5568-0-43324100-1365380159_thumb.jpg

post-5568-0-41497900-1365380168_thumb.jpg