46-48 Desoto & Chrysler backup light

James_Douglas

Today I went to drill the holes for the stock backup light on the drivers side rear.

I have a set of measurements that someone on the list here gave me. The problem is that I think they were from a Dodge or Plymouth as if I follow it the light is hitting the bottom of the tail light.

Anyone out there have a 46-48 Chrysler or Desoto with the stock back up light ?

If so, would you send me an email with a set of photos of the light.

Thanks, James

Norm,

The thing is not symmetrical. Does it point to the left, toward the drivers side curb or to the right to the center line of the car ?

Also, is the screw to take the lens off on top or on the bottom...

James

James,

Can't answer those questions. The Do Rays are not shaped the same as the original, nor are they as large in diameter. I would think the lens screw would be positioned toward the bottom though so it is not as visible.

Does your light look like this? If so then when it's placed on the car you wont have to know where the screw goes because the light only goes on one way as well as the bezel on the front has a notch on one side and the screw on the other. The back side is offset to fit in only one way. The drivers side. I have two of these so I can replace the plastic cheapo turn signals on my Dodge even though I may have fun with the passenger side to fit. On one of my D-24's it has been stamped out by the factory to place the backup light. If needed I will take a picture of it for you to compare if the dodge and chrysler locations should be different.

Backuplight001.jpg

Ed,

I have to drill the holes as I am putting this on my Desoto, which did not have one from the factory. The body below the tail light on mine is such that I can mount it with the screw up or down and the thing points slight in or our accordingly.

Thank is why I am looking for a photo of a Desoto or Chrysler to see which way it was pointing....

Best, James

James, after looking at where the backup light was mounted I see that there are three holes that need to be drilled. The one thats in the center but yet larger and offset is on the drivers side ( far left ) away from the trunk. I could not locate either of the lights off hand but I would say that the larger hole would be for your wires. I can not remember if the outlet on the back of the light for the wires is offset or not. If it is then this would easily tell you which way the light should be turned to mount it.

You never mentioned if your light is the same in the picture. If it is it only goes on that side of the car and can not be mounted but with one end up and the other down, not visa versa. The back of the mount is molded to fit that way. If you look at it closely you will notice that none of the back side is even except possibly the very bottom. I understand what your asking about if it should be pointing toward the trunk or outward. If you mounted it as the backside will allow then it will speak for itself. Thats only if your backup light is the same as the one pictured. If it is flat then it would be like the later models and would fit any way you choose to. If molded as mentioned it will only fit one way. The only reason I say this is because I've been trying to see how I will get the passenger side to work with the screw turned the same as the other but I dont think you can with out one being upside down.

I'll look some more and see if I can locate one of the back up lights and put it in place and take a picture. I also noticed that there is plenty of room for the back up light and the dodge tail light but im unsure what your desoto tail light looks like and how much room there is under it. If needed, I can get some center to center measurements of the holes etc but I think you said you had a temp plate already. Hopefully someone can provide a desoto picture for you but I really dont think you have much choice as to how it will mount. I would only be guessing if I were to say the screw goes on top but if you think abt it the other side would have the hole facing up that catch's the small clip that also holds the bezel before you screw it on. I doubt that the hole would face up because of water shed/ catching water and it getting into the fixture. Ed

James, found the back up light and I was wrong about where the holes were. It looks as though the screw should be down because of the drain holes. Here is a pic of the light mounted with the screw on the bottom.

Backuplightscrewdown.jpg

Here is with the screw on top and showing the drain holes.

Backuplightscrewup.jpg

Here is what it looks like without the light. I can see by the convert why you are cutting it so close with your tail lights. Not much room.

Backuplightcarmount.jpg

This backup light has been grounded down some on the back. I had'nt noticed this before. I purchased this one not to long ago and didnt see this but thats ok because it looks like thats whats going to be needed to do the passenger side. Either way you need a gasket for the back side. If you can see it there is a gap in the center which my other one did not have. Must be from the grind down on the back. Hope this helps, Ed