Early version?

Frank Elder

No. Head mounted distributor and 24 head bolts.

I can see the dizzy Don:rolleyes: A 48 dodge doesn't look like a 2013 dodge either, but its still a dodge......I thought maybe our flattie started out different and evolved some:)

Thank you everyone for your answers! Seems it's a pontiac.......

Edited by FRANKIE47

Its an early Chrysler engine at the Walter P Chrysler museum. Just the standard Chrysler engine used in all the cars I think. I think somewhere in 1930 or so they went to the style we know better with the distributor in the side of the block. Also on the early ones, due to their casting techniques the water jackets had to be sealed with covers. They didn't have the technology to cast the water jackets in like on our "modern" sixes. There were no freeze plugs on them either. That was probably fun to seal the water with those covers...

The carb is an updraft B&B...they had a display one of those too.

I was just at the museum a couple days before it closed to the public.

Hope this helps!

Following is a link to a tour of the Walter P Chrysler museum.Shows the Chrysler 6 engine

developed in the mid twenties..

http://www.allpar.com/history/museum-tour/first-floor.html