not for the purists

scotty t

• 1 year later...

Just found this topic, I think that front end is gorgeous with that custom bumper! It really fits the flow of the pointed front grill on that body style.

It looks to me that you just 'out purist the purists' !  WOW, now go buy a bunch of old bumpers, modify them per yours and make a few bucks. or have the buyer provide the bumpers and you modify  for $$$$. Price it high enough so that the buyer knows he's got  bragging rights at the car shows he attends. 

Edited by pflaming

i had a young fabricator build it for me. he's doing all the metal work and fabrication.nothing major, just custom bumpers and minor rust repair, oh yea and motor mounts for the HEMI

That's MINOR stuff?

Seriously?

• Like 1

I also agree awesome looking front bumper in how he was able to take the  curve of the front gril and then incorporate that into the front bumper.  Nice effect and does alot for the car.  Keep going with the custom work  I like to see the inventive side of what can be done with these older cars and still enhance their overall appearance.

Do not worry what the purests think.  This is your car and your time and your money so do what makes you happy and just enjoy and drive the car and have fun. If it was not for guys like you we would have never had some of the new fabricatins incorporated into our modern cars.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

Desoto makes a good point. Some of the things done by the customizers that found their way into new designs were: french headlights, shaved hoods, less noticable door handles, interior colors to harmonize with the exterior, lower profiles, "faster cars, younger women , stronger whiskey".  :D

• Like 2

I've seen many pictures of P15s where an attempt was made to "improve" the appearance of the front end.This is truly the only one I've ever seen that accomplishes that endeavor, in my opinion. The

craftsmanship on those bumpers is just amazing. Well done!

Wayne

• Like 1

My bumpers were scrounged from various sourses and are less than what wood be called good. I painted them the color of my car until I could get them chromed. Recently I came across Briz Bumper that makes aluminum ribbed bumpers which look great on P-15s.

http://www.brizbumpers.com/#!gallery/vstc1=5-rib-bumpers

Bob

My bumpers were scrounged from various sourses and are less than what wood be called good. I painted them the color of my car until I could get them chromed. Recently I came across Briz Bumper that makes aluminum ribbed bumpers which look great on P-15s.

http://www.brizbumpers.com/#!gallery/vstc1=5-rib-bumpers

Bob

To each their own I think those things look cheap. I would rather run a dinged up stock chrome bumper over a new one of those.

• Like 2

i see there has been some activity on this thread so i'll share some recent pics.  the side view shows the new lowered stance with the axle moved back 1" to center it in the wheel well. there are a couple shots with the engine sitting in there, if you look closely you can see the fire wall mods, we used as much of the original sheetmetal as possible to retain the factory stampings. there's one of the rear bumper and over-rider. also a construction pic of the front bumper. i think i'll do a retro active build thread after the car is a little further along. thanks for the kind words guys, i always pass them on to the man who is helping me make this a reality.

post-3987-0-17095200-1390584487_thumb.jpg

post-3987-0-49758100-1390584495_thumb.jpg

post-3987-0-30444100-1390584504_thumb.jpg

post-3987-0-12925200-1390584513_thumb.jpg

post-3987-0-17687500-1390584526_thumb.jpg

post-3987-0-39648800-1390584537_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have no problem with stock or custom and since you're going custom, I really like the door treatment.   You obviously have  a vision of what it should look like so keep at it and share the progress.

I don't know - I think that front bumper looks awful! It's totally disgusting, and unwholesome. It is so terrible I think you should send it to me for proper disposal. Pack it up nicely and I'll even be so kind as to pay the shipping. You need to get rid of it, and I'll be nice enough to take it off your hands.

• Like 4