not for the purists

scotty t

here's a pic of my new front bumper, it was my concept and i had a young fabricator build it for me. he's doing all the metal work and fabrication.nothing major, just custom bumpers and minor rust repair, oh yea and motor mounts for the HEMI

That front bumper is a piece of art to me!:D

It looks almost exactly what i wanted to do on my 50 suburban(with 49 front sheet metal and grill. Could not figure out how to make the center peak using stock 49 ribbed grille( i have 3 ) at home! Ended up making something SIMULAR from fiberglass. Would love a pic of the front bumper/pan from the side. Also i must say that the suburban is now in mothballs awaiting MONEY & ENERGY! Sorry no pics after computer crashed and car is in storage.:o

That (young man) is very good, you're luckly to have found him!

Keep the pictures coming as work progress.

Love it!:D

Thanks,

Doug

The bumpers,front and rear look great.I'm looking at that front bumper and I'm wondering to myself...How did he do that? Great idea and great job.:)

• Like 1

I gotta say I think thats the best looking custom front I've seen.

I agree 100% - Very vee...ry seldom you see a custom job, which improves the original look and brings up the best of the car's features - Here we have one.

This reminds me of 1941 Chrysler front end, which, IMHO, is the best looks of all times.

Smart design and excellent craftsmanship - congratulations Scotty!

i love the custom bumper,,cant figure out how you got it to peek as stated,,,,I finally found a 40/41 chrysler/desoto front bumper that peeks just like what you made to fit my 40 dodge which has a peeked front end, the one i found is super rusty,,hope it chromes ok

OK here's a few new pics. and a little info to answer a question from earlier, he heat and beat it into submission. he said he felt like a blacksmith! it was made from four separate pieces, the bumper was cut in two, heat and bent. then two little pieces were cut at the bevel and cut to length and welded in. the splash pan was just trimmed to suit. the bumper tips still have to shortened and reshaped.

post-3987-0-83834300-1358623904_thumb.jpgpost-3987-0-86534800-1358623967_thumb.jpgpost-3987-0-37894500-1358623939_thumb.jpg

Edited by scotty t

Can you tell us about the planned Hemi swap, or do you have a thread on the subject ?

not much to say yet. just remove what ever is in the way, mount the hemi, replace every thing that was removed in the most stock appearing way we can. i'm going with a manual rack&pinion for clearance. when the inner aprons are cut they will be rebuilt using as much of the original metal as possible to maintain the "factory" look. radiator will most likely be moved forward a little bit, firewall might be moved back a little. the goal is to make it look like Mother Mopar installed it in  the factory. there will be a lot of cutting and grinding! but when it's done most people will never notice. the young man who is responsible for the fab work is on board and has the vision!