Flat six smoking like crazy!!!

Lpdesignz

Hey fellas where would you start with this motor?? It's a 51 Plymouth cranbrook 2 door special deluxe.. I wanna keep the original drive train I love it and it runs great but smokes worse each time I drive it... Would you or can you do just a valve job or start with a fresh rebuild?? I'm totally new to splitting motors "never done it" but tackled anything that was ever thrown at me... I have a complete more door 51 I was thinking about yanking the motor and rebuilding it if need be.. Where can I get a manual or book how to rebuild and the parts lol.. Thanks fellas for the great site..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, what have you got going on, what kinda smokin we be talkin bout here?

How many miles? How many miles have you put on her? What type of oil are you running?

Have you dons a compression test? If you like the car, and need to rebuild the engine, that you can have done. Are you able to pull the engine and get it to the rebuilder?

Let us know some more info, is this smokin "oil burning", or black smoke rich fuel mixture?

Getting engine rebuilt is a start, good time for new clutch, service of tranny, new seals etc.

Oh yeah regular oil and Lucas stop leak/smoke crap.. It was dripping out the front seal behind the balancer and the lucus plugged that but now the rear main is leaking bad when it's running...No compression test yet... New to this stuff I'm a fabricator not a motor mechanic lol.. But willing to learn

Whitish blue smoke defiantly oil burning... Miles are unknown the speedo just flipped on me so guessing over 200k lol..

Okay, first thing, do a compression test, see what you got, okay. What kinda oil you running, did you add something super thin lately, or same oil entire time. These old engines, if the have been using thick oil like 2050, then switched to 5W30 might smoke oil more easily.

What is the oil pressure readings, does the engine run nice and smooth, any noises, or knocks etc.....

Okay, first thing, do a compression test, see what you got, okay. What kinda oil you running, did you add something super thin lately, or same oil entire time. These old engines, if the have been using thick oil like 2050, then switched to 5W30 might smoke oil more easily.

What is the oil pressure readings, does the engine run nice and smooth, any noises, or knocks etc.....

Well I keep adding 10/30 because the rear seal leaks pretty bad.. The oil pressure is at 40 idle, and goes up to 50 or 60 when driving.. Motor runs smooth no wierd noises or knocks...

Well I keep adding 10/30 because the rear seal leaks pretty bad.. The oil pressure is at 40 idle, and goes up to 50 or 60 when driving.. Motor runs smooth no wierd noises or knocks...

Well that sounds good, those bearings are doing okay, 40 at an idle and 50-60 drivin is great. How easy does the engine start?

Does it smoke all the time, or just when warmed up?

Does it smoke while accelerating, or on deceleration?

Do the compression test, but for now, toss the 10W30, get some 15W40 or 20W50, thicker oil may or may not help, for the time being.

It is possible if the bearing are in good order, you could get away with a valve job, or a valve and ring job......

Right on man thanks for your help.. I'll get the compression checked Monday my next door neighbor has the gauges but there at his shop.."he's a mechanic but never worked on these old motors" it starts real easy even when it's 20* outside.. The car is 12v thou with the 6v starter so it spins fast lol.. It smokes mostly on acceleration if I hit the pedal it starts to come out... Can't tell if I'm driving but at a idle just a little smoke then rev it up and white smoke comes out pretty bad.. Btw do I have to add that lead additive crap to my gas?? I have been since I got the car but read these came with hardened seats from the factory???

Well that sounds good, those bearings are doing okay, 40 at an idle and 50-60 drivin is great. How easy does the engine start?

Does it smoke all the time, or just when warmed up?

Does it smoke while accelerating, or on deceleration?

Do the compression test, but for now, toss the 10W30, get some 15W40 or 20W50, thicker oil may or may not help, for the time being.

It is possible if the bearing are in good order, you could get away with a valve job, or a valve and ring job......

This might work or might not work but I had a caravan and it smoked like crazy. Well I tried some NO SMOKE and it worked. I would only recomend this as a temporary fix and if works than your in the ball park but I would go for new rings and check out those valve guides.

Right on man thanks for your help.. I'll get the compression checked Monday my next door neighbor has the gauges but there at his shop.."he's a mechanic but never worked on these old motors" it starts real easy even when it's 20* outside.. The car is 12v thou with the 6v starter so it spins fast lol.. It smokes mostly on acceleration if I hit the pedal it starts to come out... Can't tell if I'm driving but at a idle just a little smoke then rev it up and white smoke comes out pretty bad.. Btw do I have to add that lead additive crap to my gas?? I have been since I got the car but read these came with hardened seats from the factory???

No lead additive, they have hardened exhaust valve seats, not like the flathead Furds Man.....LOL

Whitish colored smoke, oil burnin should be blue, and smell like oil is burnin, maybe you are burnin some antifreeze, is that head gasket leakin.

Do the compression test first, report your findings, then figure out a plan of attack.

Stay away from the snake oil JipJobXX is suggesting, you don't need another problem, with this engine...

No lead additive, they have hardened exhaust valve seats, not like the flathead Furds Man.....LOL

Whitish colored smoke, oil burnin should be blue, and smell like oil is burnin, maybe you are burnin some antifreeze, is that head gasket leakin.

Do the compression test first, report your findings, then figure out a plan of attack.

Stay away from the snake oil JipJobXX is suggesting, you don't need another problem, with this engine...

Ya I'll do that Monday for sure.. Thank you for your help man I appreciate it very much.. What's the cost for valves and rings vs a full rebuild?? Do they sell kits for these motors or you have to piece it together?? I don't know exactly what I'm searching for on google I just keep bouncing around so I came here to ask...

Ya I'll do that Monday for sure.. Thank you for your help man I appreciate it very much.. What's the cost for valves and rings vs a full rebuild?? Do they sell kits for these motors or you have to piece it together?? I don't know exactly what I'm searching for on google I just keep bouncing around so I came here to ask...

Vintage Power Wagons, Terrill Machine in Texas, for engine parts as well as Egge Machine, they make everything engine wise. The average rebuild price seems to be around $2500, rings and valves might be less than 1/2 of that, do some engine rebuild searches on here, plenty of info, from Guys who have done it.

How is that seedan moredoor engine, could it be used, or is it stuck or shot?

Anyway good luck and welcome to the board....

Vintage Power Wagons, Terrill Machine in Texas, for engine parts as well as Egge Machine, they make everything engine wise. The average rebuild price seems to be around $2500, rings and valves might be less than 1/2 of that, do some engine rebuild searches on here, plenty of info, from Guys who have done it.

How is that seedan moredoor engine, could it be used, or is it stuck or shot?

Anyway good luck and welcome to the board....

Supposedly it ran better than my 2 door but it has been sitting a long time.. No carb on it etc.. Just what I was told when I bought the 2 door the more door came as a parts car.. It's been very usefull I know that much. Debating to sell it whole or piece it out.. It has everything complete but a grill all the stainless trim and chrome etc is there and in great condition..

Btw $2500 for parts or to have it done?

Parts,machining and labor, this would be an average price, some areas slightly cheaper, and some significantly higher.

In my part of Canada, about $3000-$3500, for total rebuild, including parts.

If i were doing it, i would pull engine, have shop do machining, clean and check block, and do assembly myself, save some money.

Do some searches on here, some of the guys have done this very thing.....

Parts,machining and labor, this would be an average price, some areas slightly cheaper, and some significantly higher.

In my part of Canada, about $3000-$3500, for total rebuild, including parts.

If i were doing it, i would pull engine, have shop do machining, clean and check block, and do assembly myself, save some money.

Do some searches on here, some of the guys have done this very thing.....

This is exactly what I'm thinking and wanna do at some point.. I would love to pull the motor from the more door, rebuild it, paint it etc and just swap them one weekend.. That way my ride isn't down for a month or what ever it takes to get done..

welcome aboard! nice looking ride! even the donor car looks solid! i have a feeling you are in the left coast. maybe even in california! welcome aboard...

Thank you ya west coast "Vegas actually" lol... Love my chop top but it has been dishonored from its original glory.. It's a pretty wild custom now. Fully air bagged suspension "lays frame" chopped and tunneled and a Chevy back end... Both rear quarters and trunk are a 54 bel air... I know scold me know but it looks so clean lol..

Thank you ya west coast "Vegas actually" lol... Love my chop top but it has been dishonored from its original glory.. It's a pretty wild custom now. Fully air bagged suspension "lays frame" chopped and tunneled and a Chevy back end... Both rear quarters and trunk are a 54 bel air... I know scold me know but it looks so clean lol..

NICE! post more pictures!!!! I want to see the whole car!

nice ride man! keep at it! hope you get that smoke fixed...Im glad you want to keep that original running gear. it sure is cool!!!

Thank you... Yes I love the flattie and 3 on the tree... Wish I could get it up over 50-55mph thou.. It would be nice to cruise on the freeways sucks driving surface streets here there crowded... I'm thinking I could just change the gears in the rear end and get the extra 10mph out of it.. Not sure what to use or where to get it thou.. My car is geared so low I never use first only second and third and even take off in third sometimes lol..