My info request from historical services...

ptwothree

A couple of days ago, my son and I were working on our '51 Cranny when he noticed the odo read 43,xxx miles and asked if it was original mileage. I told him it was hard to know....but I guessed it was at least 143 or even 243k.

Today I received my build cert and other info from Historical Services Chrysler Group LLC.

Among other things, it tells me that the original engine is still with the car. When I disassembled it a few years ago, I noticed it had standard size pistons, rod and mains which I replaced with new standard size parts.

The ring lands had the most wear measuring between .005/.010 so that was the main reason for the new parts.

This engine now starts immediately and will idle at just below 400 rpm although I idle it at 575....so that means the carb has little or no throttle shaft wear.

All this to say that it's probably safe to conclude that I have a 61 year old car with 43k original miles on it. Too bad the rest of the car shows like a car with 230,000......rust/broken trim parts etc.

Btw... original selling dealer was Frank Sager, Manhattan Kansas #36728 Any one have any insight on this??

Anyways, $45 well spent...lots of good info!!

ps...I sent away for the build data on 12/19/12 and just got it today......

A couple of days ago, my son and I were working on our '51 Cranny when he noticed the odo read 43,xxx miles and asked if it was original mileage. I told him it was hard to know....but I guessed it was at least 143 or even 243k.

Today I received my build cert and other info from Historical Services Chrysler Group LLC.

Among other things, it tells me that the original engine is still with the car. When I disassembled it a few years ago, I noticed it had standard size pistons, rod and mains which I replaced with new standard size parts.

The ring lands had the most wear measuring between .005/.010 so that was the main reason for the new parts.

This engine now starts immediately and will idle at just below 400 rpm although I idle it at 575....so that means the carb has little or no throttle shaft wear.

All this to say that it's probably safe to conclude that I have a 61 year old car with 43k original miles on it. Too bad the rest of the car shows like a car with 230,000......rust/broken trim parts etc.

Btw... original selling dealer was Frank Sager, Manhattan Kansas #36728 Any one have any insight on this??

Anyways, $45 well spent...lots of good info!!

ps...I sent away for the build data on 12/19/12 and just got it today......

so do they just tell you who the dealer was and not who bought the car? i just sent my info in to them for a build sheet for my '33.

My info only included the name of the dealer they shipped to. Your mileage may differ.I would guess that at that point, the factory would not track where the car goes from there what with dealer trades, auctions etc. Mine being from Ks.might explain the rust...

thanks..i figured i probably was only going to get the dealer info..but even that will give me more info then i have now. i am quite curious were my '33 came from.:D

They no longer have the paint and trim code number references to decode the numbers on the build card to the paint name and upholstery information for pre-1934 cars, so your '33 build card will give you the numbers but it won't help a lot on figuring out the original color, etc.

But... If you believe you know the original color (found some unmolested paint somewhere) and/or original upholstery on your '33, I'd like to know what your paint and trim numbers are and what you believe the paint and upholstery was: I am trying to reconstruct that information on my web site. Thanks!

On my 39 ndesoto the plate that is on the cowl on the passenger side had the paint code and also trim code.

In my 39 Desoto parts manual I found the color of the car and also the trim code inthe appropriate section.

So mine was a 507 for the paint which refered to the streamliner gray and the interior code was also identified and being mohair cloth.

You will need to look at the plate if you have one still onthe car.

Contact me I can take a picture of mine and this might help you locate the numbers on your plate if it is still onthe car.

Rich Hartung

I had my cousin in KS get some info on the dealer for you, He's searching for a picture from the local archives...

"The name of the dealership was Frank Sager, it was on the North end of 2nd street near the intersection close to Poyntz Ave. The buildings are no longer there, and have been tore down. The dealership was only open until the 40's. I was told that the dealership stretched about three blocks, and is located in a section of the city now known as Manhattan Mall. I ceheck with an older gentleman (friend of a friend) and it turned out he worked with Frank Sager for a little while. Sager died awhile back he would have been over a 100 years old now."

Dear Bob Drown,

I am the archivist/librarian at the Riley County Historical Museum in Manhattan, Kansas. I am responding to your recent online inquiry regarding the Plymouth Dealership in Manhattan during the 1940’s. I checked some Polk Directories and some telephone books.

Polk Directory - 1939 - the Blosser Motor Company sold Plymouth vehicles – no Segar listed in “white pages”

Phone Book - November 1941 – Chrysler-Plymouth Sales and Service – Goetsch Motor Co. – 120 South 5th – no Segar listed in white pages

Phone Book - November 1941 – Dodge-Plymouth Sales and Service – Bredenberg Auto Co. – 124 Poyntz

Phone Book – November 1944 – Chrysler-Plymouth Sales and Service – Bredenberg Auto Co. – 124 Poyntz – no Segar listed in white pages

Phone Book – November 1944 – Bredenberg Auto Co. – 124 Poyntz – listed but without a car brand

Polk Directory – 1946 – Bredenberg Auto Co. sold Plymouth vehicles – no Segar listed in white pages

Polk Directory – 1951 – Bredenberg Auto Co. sold Plymouth vehicles – no Segar listed in white pages

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Just got this reply a few minutes ago, don't look good for the home team

Thank you Mark and Bob for your info regarding Frank Sager. Guess we opened a 'can o worms' that may never be resolved.

I just think that any history on our cars is worth having and always interesting.

Now if I can find some historical info on my '64 Rambler, that would be fun too.

Thanks Guys!!