Front brake shoe adjusting tool home made!

JIPJOBXX

I made up this little device to place my front brake concentric with the axel and it works very well. This will help with the major adjustment when needed. After you get the you brake concentric with the axel then you just fit the drum to the brake shoes. Saves lots of time, cost next to nothing!

Jon:)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/1942dodge/DSC01987.jpg

Uses various PVC Pipe and fittings.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Is there a drawing and a Bill of Materials available. I will volunteer my Autocad skills to help forum members out. Or is this something you want to make and sell.

Thanks,

Hank

I made up this little device to place my front brake concentric with the axel and it works very well. This will help with the major adjustment when needed. After you get the you brake concentric with the axel then you just fit the drum to the brake shoes. Saves lots of time, cost next to nothing!

and to think, i began to cut windows in a spare brake drum so i could access the adjusters like they did back in the day...

well i gave up on that, it was way harder to carefully and cleanly cut large areas out of a drum than even i thought it would be.

this is exactly where that "k.i.s.s." saying came from: "keep it simple, stupid"

(the stupid one being me - haha!)

you can see another homemade gauge on the Graham Paige website in there Tech repair section. Similar but using a wood piece to fit over the spindel axel.

http://members.shaw.ca/rjsill/tech.htm

don2.jpg

Hi Greg, want to make one of these contraptions.

How do you operate these.

Now the Miller or ammco tools you measure inside the drum, then how do you adjust the tool to measure shoe adjustment minus whatever is required to allow drums to fit over.

Or can you please explain the whole process?..........Fred

measure the inside of the drum, across it in several locations, divide by 2 to get the diameter, then set the gauge for the measuremet less the clearence, and adjust the shoes for a constant light contact of the friction material when the gauge is rotated around the surface of the installed and adjusted shoes.

measure the inside of the drum, across it in several locations, divide by 2 to get the diameter, then set the gauge for the measuremet less the clearence, and adjust the shoes for a constant light contact of the friction material when the gauge is rotated around the surface of the installed and adjusted shoes.

Thanx Greg, going to either borrow and aamco/miller tool locally, or makea homebrew tool......Fred

• 7 years later...
On 15/05/2007 at 5:59 PM, JIPJOBXX said:

The photobucket link is not working for me?