safety switch on fluid drives question

mackster

so Im working on my 1953 desoto and the safety switch is missing. while doing some research i learn that the safety switch is just a breaker and cement resistor. so i bought a 12V breaker and one 12v resistor that will fit in to the original housing...and I was thinking..OH crap! the originals are 6V positive ground....so question is would I be able to run my parts as bought and just add a voltage reducer (12 volts to 6 volts) to the transmission governor or should I buy 6 volts components and just install the voltage reducer from the batter (12 volts) to the breaker....

.............and question number 2. do I make sense on my nonsense question??? please help. thank you! :D

so Im working on my 1953 desoto and the safety switch is missing. while doing some research i learn that the safety switch is just a breaker and cement resistor. so i bought a 12V breaker and one 12v resistor that will fit in to the original housing...and I was thinking..OH crap! the originals are 6V positive ground....so question is would I be able to run my parts as bought and just add a voltage reducer (12 volts to 6 volts) to the transmission governor or should I buy 6 volts components and just install the voltage reducer from the batter (12 volts) to the breaker....

.............and question number 2. do I make sense on my nonsense question??? please help. thank you! :D

I inbox a HAMB member and this is what he recommends... "I don't know anyone who has converted this trans to work on 12 volts. If it was my car I would take a center tap off the battery and use that as a source of 6 volt power for the transmission controls and anything else 6 volt.

The resistor has a certain resistance, I don't remember exactly what it is but you need to have the same resistance. Unless the balast resistor just happens to have the same resistance you will need to buy one of the right value from an electronics shop. Also, I have no idea what the value would be if you change to 12 volts.

It might be possible to figure all this out and make it work but why not just use 6 volts?"

(I think this is the route that Im leaning right now)