New project with a huge motor

HotrodLono

Hi folks. It's been a while since I posted. My 3.9 Plymouth found a new home and I've been intrenched in the blue oval for a few years.

I've finally added a new project to the mix.

429404_305439359562851_697214310_n.jpg

198201_305185099588277_486086926_n.jpg

Right now its stashed away about 600 miles away. I wont get to see it in person till spring.

At the moment she's motorless and without tranny but I have plans for it and need some input.

Now I know in advance I'll offend some, so I apologize in advance.

I have a ford 429 with auto tranny and I would really like to use it.

.............just waiting for the laughter to end.

Will it fit in there with modifications to the sheet metal?

Anyone have a constructive opinion on it? :o

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should drop right in and run on six volts too:D

The big thing on these for motor swaps is getting that steering box out of the way. You'll probably want to go with a rack-n-pinion setup. With the crossmember being so far foward on the frame it leaves a nice big open hole for engine swaps. I think the Ford swap is a killer idea; definitely one of a kind!

I have seen a lot of old MoPars get that "cool" big engine stuffed in a good original car. It's usually by someone who has very very basic skills, Bubble gum welds. Kinked fuel lines and just a lot of haber dash work. Oh and the modern tilt column. Five years later there it sits in the driveway. The owner gave up and is onto another plan to hack up a another good car! Brilliant!

I have seen a lot of old MoPars get that "cool" big engine stuffed in a good original car. It's usually by someone who has very very basic skills, Bubble gum welds. Kinked fuel lines and just a lot of haber dash work. Oh and the modern tilt column. Five years later there it sits in the driveway. The owner gave up and is onto another plan to hack up a another good car! Brilliant!

I guess i'll get onto a build thread when the time comes. Positive motivation sure does help keep the fires burning.

I've been passing a Cordoba or something similar for sale not far away. I might have to look into what it is. A 318 will fit in better I suspect?

Ahhh. don't let the nay-sayers discourage you. Just make sure you know how much work an engine swap is. Once you are realistic about it, double what you think then dive in. Please post as you go. Better a Ford than a Chevy :) Last Ford I built, I put a Chrysler in it..... Lot's of grumbling from the "streetrod" crowd about that, but I just sat back and smiled.

Yeah, physically, that is a rather large engine. Sitting next to a 318 it will look huge. Doesn't mean it won't fit, but a 318-360 isn't exactly a drop-in.

The steering will likely be the problem area so look into the Cavalier rack and pinion. If the oil pan crashes into a bunch of stuff then see what other pans were available or get out the saw and tig.

One question will be whether or not you want/need to maintain the inner fender panels. I suspect a problem in that space.

I did check out the 80 Labaron for $500 not far from me.

I can see that pan needs to be flipped but thats bout it. The owner wasnt around so i couldnt fire it up.

Would the rear end fit, if so maybe its worth picking up. i see the footprint length is 112 so a full frame swap isnt the way I'd go but if the front end fit in there maybe a graft.

I do expect the inner fender panels to be an issue as well as the steering. I was visualizing having to put a knuckle in somewhere if I do go the 429 route.

Edited by HotrodLono

You also might be thinking about $6 bucks a gallon cost of fuel in a couple yeras too. That big engine will be super hog on gas. Resale is also a item to consider on a mod rod. Do it right like the big boys ($$$$ )and stick to excellent detailing, drivability ect and you will come out all right and everyone will ooooh and aahhh your car. Do it poorly and all the folks will walk on by......

Bob

You also might be thinking about $6 bucks a gallon cost of fuel in a couple yeras too. That big engine will be super hog on gas. Resale is also a item to consider on a mod rod. Do it right like the big boys ($$$$ )and stick to excellent detailing, drivability ect and you will come out all right and everyone will ooooh and aahhh your car. Do it poorly and all the folks will walk on by......

Bob

Okay thanks Bob. I think I hear were you're coming from after reading the tone of both your posts.

I am pretty under experienced with Mopar and thats why I posted a question.

I do try my best to "do it right like the big boys."

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

DSCF4524.jpg?t=1347218927

I dont know a sliver of what you do but I can sure tell when I'm being talked down to.

Sorry to have been a burden to your greatness. I'm out of here.

Sorry HotrodLono,

I don't mean to talk down to anyone including you. If those are your car builds-awesome! You are very skilled and will do that Plymouth right-no matter what engine you install. To be up front I have seen in the last 45 years plus way too many nice old Mopars (1946-52) cars I like just wasted by people who get a idea with no money or skills but want to just try to do a custom build only to run out of interest and money, get a divorce and shove the car out in the field for 5 years to rust away I hate seeing that happen way too often. But it's none of my business. So I will say to you HotrodLono you have gained my respect. I know you can do this P-20 car right and people will appreciate it and it will be done well!

Bob

HotrodLono,

Aw...come on. Stick with this forum...and build your car as you see fit. There will always be those who disagree with your build choices. Ignore them, and do what you want with your car. Stick with your decisions, and do your best to make it happen. Just remember to post pictures of your build, because I'm sure there are a lot of interested forum members who will be checking them out (and a few who will be disappointed). Good luck.:D

Wayne

I'm out of here.

It's unfortunate when a person with limited skills,funds,and or commitment makes errors modifying an otherwise good restorable car and as a result the project is abandoned and in some cases isn't worth more than scrap value...of course life's unpredictable curves can sometimes throw a wrench into the mix as well.I've nothing against modified cars done well.

I think most car buffs wish success to any project undertaken,but I as well as you and others have seen the dark side and sometimes a word of caution is offered for an ambitious project and not meant to be taken as offensive.On the internet,because of our locations we don't often have the opportunity to get together and become acquainted on a personal level.

There have been some abrasive members on the forum from time to time ( I guess "flamers" is the term),usually they're kinda fickle, have little to offer,eventually move on and aren't missed.

That said, unfortunately we've had some very nice guys with helpful advice and experience leave as well... and they are missed.

There is an abundance of members on this forum that have pretty impressive credentials, and though sometimes their advice may come across as blunt and to the point, sometimes mistakenly,(doesn't bother me but that's me) there is helpful advice to be taken advantage of...

We all like to see projects followed through to a successful conclusion and ultimately the car on the road again...

I don't see anything in this thread that would offend me...lighten up.Hope you get the car,hang around and give us the updates on your project. My 2 cents. ;):)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

No worries Bob.

So I drove home my donor car today. Family owned since new ( and that was long time ago). I think the family cat used the interior as its scratching post.

A good deal for $300 I guess.

Motor, tranny...power brakes... maybe the clip and rear I dont know. I havent brought the 50 home yet to start getting into it. Guess I'll hang onto the 429 for something else.

302890_306708729435914_967772340_n.jpg

The drive home wasn't that far but I can see why there's such admiration for the old girl. Nice comfortable ride, peppy and nice to drive. The car came from Alberta,Canada. Land of deep snow and heavy salt.

The outer skin on the quarters look salvageable, but the underside are rotten.

Floors, rotten. trunk, soaking wet and soft. Headliner, hanging. Dash cracked and pieces missing. It's well worth the merits of being a donor. It was headed for the crusher believe it or not. I had been driving past it for the last 4 months sitting in his yard for sale and never paid it any attention until last week when I stopped to check it out. Two days ago it had been pulled out of site and was waiting for the wrecker. He was asking $500 when I first talked to him on the phone but when I talked to him yesterday in person, he said he'd be happy to get scrap price. I was more than happy to oblige.

Think positive folks, I'll be happy to sell off any unused parts for cheap. When the time comes, after I've taken what I need, just let me know what you need.

18924_306747736098680_1788047144_n.jpg

61452_306747789432008_1908168267_n.jpg

63154_306708589435928_1896129062_n.jpg

530428_306708529435934_842505925_n.jpg

264929_306714046102049_775562977_n.jpg

Really quite a shame as the cars are not commonly found in two door...I bought one many years ago and dragged it home..LeBaron...my dad was with me and loved the ride..it had a bad cam lobe on #7 exhaust and dual exhaust...slipped in a nice cam..installed new carpet and gave it to mom and dad who drove it for years..I was offered the car back when he bought a bit newer car.. but I told him to sell it and keep the money..kinda wished I had now..maybe one day I will luck upon another..