1936 Plymouth Engine interchange info

Andydodge

Can anyone confirm that a 230 engine will bolt onto a 1936 Plymouth bellhousing. Also, the 230 has an 8 bolt flange on the crank, the 36 has a 4 bolt flange.........will they swap?.........Has anyone direct knowledge of putting a 230 into a 1936 Plymouth.........any info will be appreciated...........thanks, andyd

You will find that the flange bolt holes although assymetrical, will allign with the 4 bolt flywheel when the proper orientation is found. the eight bolt deal was to support the extra weight of the Fluid drive assembly. Running the 4 bolt set up with the non FD transmission will be fine.

Robert & Greg, thanks for the replies its for the guy thats looking at buying the 230 engine I have, its going from one side of Oz to the other, 3000kms so its helpful info, I thought it would be o/k...lol......thanks, andyd

I have a 230 engine in my 35 with the original '35 bellhousing and tranny. The head and manifold were a problem though. The head (from a '57) had a different size hole for the temperature sensor and the manifold had different tapped holes for the throttle. Both of those could have easily been remedied by a little drilling and tapping but I just reused the older head and manifold.

If you have any specific questions, email me at JimCno@gmail.com.

Robert & Greg, thanks for the replies its for the guy thats looking at buying the 230 engine I have, its going from one side of Oz to the other, 3000kms so its helpful info, I thought it would be o/k...lol......thanks, andyd

The 56 engine I have (230), has the oil pump sump near the center of the engine,

where as the 37,(218), engine I have, has the oil pump sump near the rear of the

engine. This would be a problem for my 37 Coupe project, if I keep the stock

suspension, (leaf spring suspension)...

The 56 engine I have (230), has the oil pump sump near the center of the engine,

where as the 37,(218), engine I have, has the oil pump sump near the rear of the

engine. This would be a problem for my 37 Coupe project, if I keep the stock

suspension, (leaf spring suspension)...

Thats easily fixed by swapping oil pans. My truck project engine came with a front sump pan from a pilot house truck. My 39-47 project requires the more standard rear sump. A quick swap of the pickup and pan took care of it.

These engines are both in Australia right? The '36 was before the Windsor, Ontario engine plant was in operation so it is nearly certainly a 23 inch long block.

The '54 230 engine might have been imported to Australia from Canada rather than the US. If so, then it might be the longer 25 inch block. Might want to double check that before paying for 3000Km of shipping charges...

Todd, Robert, Greg & Jim.....again thanks for the extra info & concern..........the deal is that the guy has an Oz 1936 Coupe, with the 23" 201 engine, I have my 41 Plymouth Coupe & the extra 230 engine I was planning to install up for sale...........the guy with the 36 Coupe contacted me about just buying the engine and all the bits that go with it. I was about 99% certain they would fit but its nice to have some extra confirmation knowledge. He intends to hotrod this 36 Coupe and is familiar with having to do the odd bit of fiddling around so linkages etc won't be a problem...........oh and even if I do sell the coupe which will now have a reduced price, I still have my 1940 Dodge Sedan...........so you won't get rid of me that easily...................lol.........thanks & regards, Andy Douglas