D24C oil change procedure....

frankieflathead

Hi, everybody. I've been visiting this site for quite a few years, but haven't posted anything in a while. I recently acquired a real nice original, unrestored First Series 1949 Dodge D24C Club Coupe. It's also been a long time since I've owned a MoPaR this old.

It uses the drop-in cartridge type oil filter with the housing permanently attached to the oil lines. When I changed the oil as part of my winter storage prep, I thought it might be a good idea to fill up the oil filter canister as well as sump (five quarts in total), but then I started to have second thoughts.

Can any of you guys who know these cars better than I do tell me if this was a good idea or not, if it would harm the engine on the first start up in the Spring or if it really doesn't matter one way or another? Thanx in advance, and I'm looking forward to any early Spring so I can play with it again.

Edited by frankieflathead

Pre filling is not a requirement but it can't hurt. If you have an old turkey baster (or one that won't get used again for awhile) you can use it to get the old oil out of the canister. Most of them take an Napa 1080 or 1010 cartridge. just make sure you get the one with the correct gasket.

Pre filling is not a requirement but it can't hurt. If you have an old turkey baster (or one that won't get used again for awhile) you can use it to get the old oil out of the canister. Most of them take an Napa 1080 or 1010 cartridge. just make sure you get the one with the correct gasket.

Thanx, Greg. I didn't think it would be a problem, but in such a critical system I wanted to be sure that it would not cause the oiling system to become air bound.

I was able to drain the old oil out of the canister by removing the drain plug on it. I also took the opportunity to clean out 63 years worth of sludge from the bottom, not that there was an awful lot of it. BTW, I'm using a Wix 51080 filter.

Taking the battery out and storing it in a warm indoor space, checking the antifreeze (good for -25º F), putting her up on jackstands, mouse-proofing her as well as I can and putting the car cover on completes my storage ritual. Now I just have to wait for the long New England winter to pass. There's a possibility of some heavy snow up here Tuesday night.

P.S. Any other winter storage tips are welcome.

...P.S. Any other winter storage tips are welcome.

Stabil or equivalent in the fuel tank and a fill-up would be a good idea. Run the car a few minutes after (if it isn't too late) to get it through the fuel line and into the carburetor.

Stabil or equivalent in the fuel tank and a fill-up would be a good idea. Run the car a few minutes after (if it isn't too late) to get it through the fuel line and into the carburetor.

Right you are. I forgot to mention that I've already done that, and also filled the tank. Thanx, Bam.

P.S. I also plugged the tailpipe with a piece of steel wool to keep Mickey and his pals out.

Edited by frankieflathead

Mice will chew through any card board heater duct, cardboard glove box or rubber draft seals if they so please just so they can nest in the headliner or seat cushions comfy home!

There should be a metal filter at the top of the draft tube. Like the stuff in the breather cap.

The draft seals around the pedals should be checked too. All three. Mice can get in a surprisingly tiny hole.

More great suggestions, Niel. Thanx! I know all too well how determined mice are and how they're able to squeeze through the tiniest opening. The draft seals on my Dodge are in excellent shape, but not certainly impregnable to tiny incisors.

My last line of defense is regular garage patrols by the best mousetraps known to man, three tabby cats.

A basic understanding of pest control is integral to what I do for a living. It is my understanding that a mouse can get through any crack no wider than the circumference of a pencil.

Yeah, they're sneaky little buggers all right. What's your opinion on the effectiveness of mothballs and / or dryer sheets as rodent repellents?

better mouse trap.

1 5 gallon plastic button, I 16 or 20 ounce beverave bottle, one wire coat hanger. drill with bit sized to the coat hanger. Peanut butter, piece of 2x4 or similar scrap wood.

Place cap on empty bottle, drill hole through center bottom and cap of bottle. Drill holes opposite from each other near the top of the bucket. Fashion an axle across the bucket with the coat hanger wire and thread the bottle onto the wire. Spread the peanut butter on the bottle, put about 3 inches of water or used oil in the bucket place assembly in inhabited area, if necessary use the scrap wood to fashion a ramp or bridge to the edge of the bucket. Rodents will climb the ramp, try to access the P butter, the bottle will spin, depositing them into the liquid, they will either sucumb to the liquid or to fatigue. Empty bucket and replace P butter as needed.

better mouse trap.

1 5 gallon plastic button, I 16 or 20 ounce beverave bottle, one wire coat hanger. drill with bit sized to the coat hanger. Peanut butter, piece of 2x4 or similar scrap wood.

Place cap on empty bottle, drill hole through center bottom and cap of bottle. Drill holes opposite from each other near the top of the bucket. Fashion an axle across the bucket with the coat hanger wire and thread the bottle onto the wire. Spread the peanut butter on the bottle, put about 3 inches of water or used oil in the bucket place assembly in inhabited area, if necessary use the scrap wood to fashion a ramp or bridge to the edge of the bucket. Rodents will climb the ramp, try to access the P butter, the bottle will spin, depositing them into the liquid, they will either sucumb to the liquid or to fatigue. Empty bucket and replace P butter as needed.

Wow Greg, are you related to the late, great Rube Goldberg, LOL? ;) Thanx for the tip. Although I agree that PB is the best bait in any kind of mousetrap, I think I'll just leave about a half dozen conventional sticky traps around the car and drown the poor wretches that get caught in them in a bucket.

I have been accused of utilizing Goldbergian sollutions in the past, but this device and a couple other similar ones are by reputation effective for dealing with multiple pests. My garage has been historically pest free, a couple D Con wedges here and there have been all I have needed.