My latest project (OT not MoPar)

Fireball

Hi guys

Two weeks ago I bought this 1960 bird with originally equipped 430 cid and cruise-o-matic. I just found out that only 4.3% of the production was set up like this. This puppy was imported from CA in 2004. I'm preparing it for repaint, all the way to bare metal just to be sure there's no surprises. I found couple small dents and only one dime size rust spot. Amazing.

Sorry it's not Mopar this time,but surely a model that everybody has an opinion;) I'm struggling with the color really, I'm not even sure whether to go two-tone or not.

20121102795-vi.jpg

20121102796-vi.jpg

20121102802-vi.jpg

20121111901-vi.jpg

Looks real good......should be a fun car.

Here's a link to a brochure sort of thing showing various colors on

these model Birds. Maybe that will be helpful.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=1959+ford+thunderbird+sales+brochure&id=92EC744A90370D6E7894AA09F7EF219C796FD935&FORM=IQFRBA

This is really one of the easiest projects I've had, and I've had plenty. No rust, all parts there, interior is already redone with black leather, tagged to Finland and technically a ok. Waiting for the summer already.

The amount of details is jaw dropping in cars of this era, at least after D-24.

20121102806-vi.jpg

20121102810-vi.jpg

Gotta agree with the interior, someone really put effort into design back then.

Harold, that's priceless! Occasionally AM receives signal from Russia, but theres no real use for the radio. I think one could rebuild it to receive FM but thats too pricey I assume, so hidden FM/CD/MP3 player is my route. The plan is to build an "elevator" for it under the dash if there's enough room, or just put the unit into trunk and use remote control.

What did you use to get all that paint off?

First two layers came easily off with heatgun and spatula, I didn't use that method into roof at all to avoid heating the headliner, and on the other hand one has to be really careful not to overheat the sheetmetal too. Large areas may warp.

The rest with portable rpm polishing machine and 3M paint/rust strip discs which do not eat metal at all. All together I counted eight layers of paint.

Roughly 30 hours of elbow grease.

Polishing-Machine-11073493186.jpg

3M_purple_clean_strip_disc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Trip to painter has started, this time I'm not painting it myself. I have to admit that I have never faced such a hard time to decide the color, but boy did I find a nice shade by the end of the day. You'll judge my choice when it's done. I just received new whitewalls, and ordered a ton of new gaskets and chrome. There's no doubt it will be ready for summertime.

20121127923-vi.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/1942dodge/1960%20Thunderbird/T-Birdone.jpg

I bought this bird for 3500 dollars a few years ago and just cleaned it up and sold it to a Canadian for almost 9000 dollars. One thing you haft to watch for is the rocker panel area's as for has a brilliant idea of just using a rubber hose to move the water from that area before the windshield to the bottom of the car. Well that hose just goes south and then that water will just go where ever it wants to go. I had this problem and finally I just gave up trying to fix it and just covered everything up with sheet metal. Sold that car just before our economy went south and that was a gift from god. Loved the car but it was a big drain on my wallet.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Mark and everybody. It's a Triumph motorcycle color actually, shows all the curves really nice in real life, and truly pops out on edges when the light hits. Just what I wanted. Professional work for a month was really worth it, those looooong panels are laser straight

201301041016-vi.jpg