Rewiring a 49 Windsor with e-z wire kit (21 set)

Dodge1996

What can I pull out of the car before I start setting in new wire. I picked up the car not running and the wires where not hooked up to the starter. Not sure if it was reverse polarity. I took the starter to Hammetts to have it checked and got it to work but I can't get the silenond to kick in when I think I have it hooked up right. Not sure where the wires go on the starter. There is 4 lugs on the starter. So I guess in need help with where the wires go on the starter and if I can't get it to turn the motor over I will need to replace the wire system with the one I bought from ez wire.thanks for any info......

Hey mate, not too sure off the top of my head but the wiring diagram for the 49 in the gallery section under electrical. Hopefully that will help. I had my starter rebuilt which worked fine in the shop and then when I installed it I had the same problem. The culprit? Not grounded well enough. I can check my car tomorrow night and let you know what goes where on a stock car if you don't get it figured out by then. Good luck!

This would be my first post on this site and it seem there are a lot of nice people here willing to help. I picked this car up not knowing much about it like reverse polarity and fluid drive trans, but I am learning. I am not a young buck but this car was before my time.. Thanks for all the input it is much appreciated...

I would echo that finding a 49 wiring schematic to start with and then anything{why not mopar?} that's a 12v friendly schematic then compare circuits and wiring...map it out, lay it out in the car and then replace one circuit at a time.

I have the very same wiring harness for my 40...was cheap{$168} and still good quality....and 21 circuits.

For my car, I planned on a mopar 60amp alt and voltage regulator from the early 70's, but after rethinking things I've found the 60 amp isn't going to be enough, so I either find a larger mopar unit or do the tried and true GM 1 wire/diode thing....me, I'd prefer mopar stuff in my mopar, at least as much as I can.

BTW- "alt not big enough" entails modern radio, vintage air heat/cool, unisteer under dash electric power steering{so I can keep my oem column and wheel}, electric wipers, alarm and power locks...the two big ticket items to draw amps are the AC{30amp} and the unisteer{30amp}.

Here's the thread when I had a similar problem: http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=31758

I'm going off of not much sleep, but you can jump the two big posts if you have a push button tester. I used to use a screwdriver, but the guys at the starter shop said not to do that because you can damage the posts if you arch it. Have another member verify this tip, as I said, I'm pretty tired and I seriously lack much experience and any formal/informal training on the proper ways to do car repair.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be to have this gorgeous car with 4 wheels in your garage and she won't turn over. It'll happen, just keep at it. Totally worth the frustration!

OMG after y'all's help I took the starter back off and made sure I had a good ground everywhere. Reinstalled the starter and it worked the motor turned over. No fire to the plugs Until a wire caught fire and burned off coming from the voltage regulator. Then I turned the key to see if it would still turn over and it did. I also heard the coil wire which was hanging there fire so I hooked it up and poured some fuel down the carb and it cranked right up. Thanks for the encouragement to keep me going.....THANKS