My Offy Intake & Reds Headers Transplant

Mark D

Got the call around 2pm that she was all done. Very happy with the installation. Everything's been welded where it makes sense, and clamped in a few place in case it ever needed to come out. Photos to follow tomorrow when I have time to sift thru them and post.

Drove her home from the shop and wasn't thrilled with the acceleration. Seemed to be very boggy. Pumping the pedal seemed to help on the uphill climb. Spent a few minutes in the shop balancing the carbs, but had to run due to another appt. tomorrow morning I will give it another try and test drive.

Here's a quick video taken after the run home.

• Like 1

Yeah that sounds alright. Glad you've come over to the dark side!:D

I would first suggest that you re-torque all the manifold bolts when the motor is hot. You'll be surprised how much they'll turn. Then work out the return springs. I noticed you brought it back to a lower idle manually.

After that let it cool all the way, then heat it up again and torque again. I bet you'll be able to turn them more. It should start to idle better and lower, if you've got the carbs balanced. Do you have the tool for that?

After you get it sealed up right, you may have to bump the idle up again. Then it'll sound better and run better. Good luck with it. Do you still have my number if you want to talk it through?

Steve - its 2" pipe front to back with 26" Smithy mid pipe each side. Quite frankly, it's louder than I thought, but I've heard they tone down after a few months of use.

Moose - I still have your number. Probably will call to talk the tuning over. I bought the guage that don recommended and have that at the garage. Tried It quickly tonight and found the front carb drawing 75% more air than the rear. Instructions say that I should drop the linkage from each carb, then tune. Not quite sure about the idle settings, or when those come into play... More tomorrow.

Plenty of room to access the oil and fuel pump.

[attach]40117[/attach]

Dual Smithy's in place.

[attach]40113[/attach]

Routing over the axle.

post-7609-13585372255368_thumb.jpg

waiting for the pencil tips to arrive.

[attach]40116[/attach]

Was supposed to be in the xmas parade this morning, but can't get it to run good at all. Carbs need tuning and the whole process just isn't clear to me yet. Gotta do some more studying I guess, and make a few phone calls.

post-7609-1358537225428_thumb.jpg

post-7609-13585372254832_thumb.jpg

post-7609-13585372256691_thumb.jpg

post-7609-13585372257243_thumb.jpg

Looks and sounds much like my setup. When I had the shop fab my crossover I told them to insure I had room to remove my transmission without removing the crossover pipe. They did so and I discovered I have an added benefit. The location and elevation of the crossover is such that I can slide my transmission out of the bellhousing, slide the tailstock of the transmission above the crossover, wedge the tailstock between the crossover and floorboard, and park the transmission there for clutch service without dropping the transmission all the way to the floor. If I do have to drop the transmission to the floor I still have ample room. This feature makes transmission removal and installation much easier.

Where are your air cleaners?

exhausted.jpg

Mvc-006fw.jpg

Edited by Don Coatney
  • Like 1

I have to admit after hearing the pipes for an hour or more yesterday that it is considerably louder than I had anticipated. Quite the bbbrrrrapp when you tug on that linkage. I think a cross-over is needed. I like the sound, but the wife warned me, if its too loud I will be riding alone...

As for the air cleaners, I've been stalling and hadn't made a decision, but I ordered a pair of the classic mushrooms last night. Hopefully those will be installed later this week.

actually it is my experience that these mufflers do not tone down but get a bit louder as they age. The 26's should have been mellow compared to shorter varieties but..if your front pipe is single wall metalit will sound bad due to this also....if worse comes to worse a good set of Walker turbo pancakes would suit the build for mellow and never loud but still throaty and should meet mum's approval..they are no more $ and may be a tad less than the Smitty's, the turbo pancakes are always my first choice..at a cost you can get these in stainless steel..hopefully they will meet mum's approval..

Go back to basics. Screw in the idle mixture screws in till snug then turn them both out 1 1/2 turns. Reset your timing to TDC. Where did you set your acc pump linkage? Did you check your plugs to see how they were firing? Dual carbs tend to richen the air fuel ratio, but headers tend to lean it so they should wash. did you check for vacuum leaks at the carb to manifold, and manifold to block interfaces?

Greg - I scored a 50 on your test so far, my responses below... Won't get time to try again until the weekend.

DONE - Screw in the idle mixture screws in till snug then turn them both out 1 1/2 turns. Reset your timing to TDC.

NOT SURE WHAT THE ASK IS? - Where did you set your acc pump linkage?

WILL DO - HADN"T THOUGHT TO LOOK. - Did you check your plugs to see how they were firing? Dual carbs tend to richen the air fuel ratio, but headers tend to lean it so they should wash.

DONE - NO LEAKS - did you check for vacuum leaks at the carb to manifold, and manifold to block interfaces?

The linkage for the accelerator pumps has 3 holes in the actuating lever (under the float bowl) for adjusting the stroke and thereby the volume of fuel for each squirt. With duals you probably want the shortest stroke to start with to keep from over richening the mix.

Now I get it - thats the winter/summer setting on the carb according to the instruction manual :) I think its set on the bottom hole and I know its identical on both carbs, (i did check that).

• 3 weeks later...

It's a long story but here's the synopsis; I took a 7am flight down to my office in NYC on the 19th of Nov to meet with my staff and noticed that morning that something wasn't quite right in my belly. It got progressively worse as the morning went on so I flew back to Boston and drive myself to the E/R. There I spent and entire week going through every test in the hospital to find out on Friday of that week that my Gall Bladder needed to be removed... They took it out on Sat the 24th and I got another weeks bed rest after that, thankfully at home. Never experience so much pain in my life, would not wish that on my worst enemies.

So, for the past couple weeks I've been trying to get back in the saddle at the office with some very long days that have prevented me from even going near the shop.

I stopped by yesterday to check on things and decided that I should splice the water line into the intake, which I had not done. That'll be a task I complete this week after I pick up some new hose. I'm also going to re-route the vacuum line to resemble Don's, which is another item on the shopping list.

As for the terrible idle / no power issue, I've downloaded a bunch of instructions from the HAMB and other sites which describe in more detail how-to tune duals. We'll see how far I get, worst case I beg Moose to come help.

Edited by My48Ruby

Hey Mark, glad you're OK- sounds like that sucked.

I'll tell you right now you are going to need a lot of gall to ask me to work on that car:D

I'd love to come help you out with that, just gonna be hard to come up with the time. We'll have to plan way ahead to get something lined up. Shoot me an email.