My Offy Intake & Reds Headers Transplant

Mark D

One other thing that might help you. As you can see in my picture the smallest one is double sided while the others are individual sizes. I'd recommend the individual ones over the combos for cases like the needle and seat to fuel line connection. If your 9/16 and 1/2 are one wrench how can you hold one while tightening the other?

Made a call to an old time mechanic friend of mine this morning to get a reference for a place that will bend up some exhaust pipes for me. He sent me to a garage that I've driven past for the last couple of decades, but never had chance to stop at. So I made a call this morning and talked to the fella that owns it. Explained my predicament with the high idle and talked about him bending up the exhaust.

Once I told him the make and model he replied, " I got a '49 myself..." - Music to my ears. He's coming up to see the car on Saturday. In the mean time he suggested I look for vacuum leaks.

It was then that I realized that I never plugged the vacuum port in the base of the second carb...

Plug in hand - after work tonight I will give it another try.

Plugging the vacuum port in the bottom of the carb will only disable the power jet causing the carb to run rich all the time.

Neil, are you suggesting a dual vacuum line, ie; one line from the distributor split to each carb? Forgive the amateur question, but it's all a learning opportunity to me. Thanks

I guess now that you are referring to the advance port fitting. The hole I thought you meant is verticle through the bottom of the throttle plate body and pulls the power piston down.

The vacuum advance port on one carb should be enough to activate the advance diaphragm. Check the pictures of others who are using dual carbs to see if they use one or two ports.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the photos Don, thats exactly what I've done with the exception that I've plumbed the vacuum advance to the rear carb. My reasoning can't justifiy preference for one over the other so I used the bends in the original line to my advantage. I also plugged the advance port in the front carb last night.

Last night I brought out my sheet metal shop skills from high school and fabricated a new heat deflector plate. It is an exact copy of the original with modifications to fit around the back of the new header. I painted the raw steel black to keep it from rusting.

I searched out a source for the carb sync tool and found them online for around $20- delivered. They seem to be very popular devices for the antique VW crowd. I've got mine on order.

Moose/Rick - Thanks for the guidance with the idle settings and the linkage. I did not try to start it last night and will likely wait for a second set of hands on Saturday.

post-7609-13585371868306_thumb.jpg

post-7609-13585371868968_thumb.jpg

Three pieces of 2" aluminized stock on order for delivery to the shop on Tuesday. Friday she gets a ramp truck ride courtesy of AAA to the shop, to get the last of her modifications.

Now to find some decent air cleaners.

I gave it two thoughts, but there's a small matter of this public office that I hold which would complicate matters greatly... :rolleyes:

Ran around the parking lot twice, and woke the dead in the cemetery a quarter mile down the street. (it was fun) the car was back in the bat cave by the time the cops arrived.

• 2 weeks later...

post-7609-13585372163074_thumb.jpg

Happy to report that Ruby is finally at the exhaust shop and they've started working on her new exhaust today. Past couple of weeks I haven't made much progress due to a small health issue that rudely presented itself in the middle of my project. On the 21st I was admitted to the E/R with some gut pain, after 4 days of testing they performed a cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal) on me this past Saturday. I've been home healing all week, and happily I don't seem to any worse with the extra part missing from my own "exhaust".

Today I ventured up to the shop for the first time in a couple weeks and had the car pulled out thanks to AAA. Once it was on the ramp I followed it over to the garage that's bending up the pipe. Gave them a copy of the Fenton Headers Installation Instructions to give them an example of how the pipes should be run. Will be going back down there in a few hours to takes some photos while she's still on the lift. If all goes as planned I'll drive her back to the shop this afternoon, video camera at hand. :D

post-7609-13585372165732_thumb.jpg

Glad you and Ruby are both doing well. You may find the fall bladder removal a blessing in disguise. My MIL found she was no longer lactose intolerant and another family friend found his food issues greatly reduced afterwards.